What brand batteries are the longest lasting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The exceptions have J on the end of the part number. J means Johnson Controls. It would show a number like 59PRMJ.

I managed an Oreilly store for a while.
Good to know, I will look at the battery in the Burb when I'm next out at the shop.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seen there is also some company the race car and monster truck guys use called XS batteries and there is also another called Braille that Speedways sells to the streetrod crowd don't know nothing about these two.

XS Power makes decent batteries, but last time I looked at them I really didn't like their terminal connections, especially for underhood automotive starting applications. From what I understand they're really more focused on discharge and reserve capacity for stuff like running giant audio systems or lights/winches.

Braille specializes in lightweight batteries for racing applications. They do sell some AGMs, but they're mostly known for their Lithium batteries which are much lighter and smaller than a standard lead acid or AGM. Basically some tiny 18650/26650 Lithium cells wired together in a big plastic box. Also a much more volatile battery chemistry, and personally not something I'd want in a street vehicle.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walmart Everstart and Interstate are the exact same batteries, both made by Johnson Control.
Interstate Batteries and Johnson Controls are two different companies. Wal-Mart and Optima batteries are made by Johnson. I've been having good luck with Wal-Mart batteries lately, but you know that as soon as Wal-Mart realizes everyone's buying their batteries they'll cheap out and turn to garbage.

Optima batteries are good for equipment and vehicles that sit for long periods without parasitic draw. They absolutely do not deep-cycle well. I quit using them in my cars, and I have four, dead, on my shelf. There are battery conditioners you can buy to rehabilitate them, but they're four figures and are only successful about half the time.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interstate Batteries and Johnson Controls are two different companies. Wal-Mart and Optima batteries are made by Johnson. I've been having good luck with Wal-Mart batteries lately, but you know that as soon as Wal-Mart realizes everyone's buying their batteries they'll cheap out and turn to garbage.

Optima batteries are good for equipment and vehicles that sit for long periods without parasitic draw. They absolutely do not deep-cycle well. I quit using them in my cars, and I have four, dead, on my shelf. There are battery conditioners you can buy to rehabilitate them, but they're four figures and are only successful about half the time.
You must be registered for see images attach

Walmart and Interstate are both different companies than Johnson Controls. Doesn’t mean JC doesn’t make their batteries.

Attachments

• 2C1E43DD-3BF5-4EFA-9FF4-750802566457.jpeg
    2C1E43DD-3BF5-4EFA-9FF4-750802566457.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 90B477B4-EFBB-4AF6-8033-E67382050C98.jpeg
    90B477B4-EFBB-4AF6-8033-E67382050C98.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I actually have a somewhat inexpensive charger that will rehabilitate some batteries.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seen costco prorates there batteries for warranty now not free 3 year replacement anymore ,Ac delco gold group 78 is full 42 month free replacement no pro rate .

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually have a somewhat inexpensive charger that will rehabilitate some batteries.
Me too, $40 on Amazon. Thinking of getting another for the hangar. A desulfator is what you're looking for.
Yup, I have that, too. Didn't work. At my Reserve unit we have the fancy AGM reconditioner. It has a temp sensor you stick on top of the battery while reconditioning it, and it pulse charges. It brings back about half of the batteries from under 6v. We also have two pulse chargers designed for AGMs, but they only work if the battery wasn't knocked down lower than about 6v.

Walmart and Interstate are both different companies than Johnson Controls. Doesn’t mean JC doesn’t make their batteries.
I was wrong. I believed that Interstate still had their own battery plant.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, IMHO, if you don't maintain the battery, i.e. throw a trickle charge in it periodically, If you do allow it to get discharged (maybe leave the dome light on), don't rely on the alternator to bring it back up - it won't! Fully charge it again with a charger, then throw a trickle charge in it maybe once a Month. Heat will kill a battery if it's not maintained properly too. Keep all of your cables clean and inspect for corrosion on connections, including grounds all over.

Any battery will live longer if you take care of it.