AGM battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you need the original receipt and do they test/inspect when returning?
they tested one I brought back for my mothers car. No sure what kind of hand held tester it was but not a typical load tester, but more involved than a DVOM. I couldn't quite see what the dude was up to. No receipt needed but helps, they log original purchase. In the Harley used to used to use the Harley brand sealed lead acid and get 4-5 years out of one, biggest battery killer was cooking them via a tender.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
they tested one I brought back for my mothers car. No sure what kind of hand held tester it was but not a typical load tester, but motr involvrf than a DVOM, no receipt needed but helps, they log original purchase.
The Champion "Premium" (lead-acid) that just failed me with 6mos left on the 30mo free replacement warranty, seemingly "passed" when I first checked it with my OTC load tester. It showed signs of having a bad cell (I guess this is the proper terminology for it) as it would start OK sometimes, start slow other times, or just flat out act nearly totally dead - barely a click from the starter. In that case you'd expect the battery to be really dead, but hook it to jumper cables or a jump box for just a few seconds and it cranks right up like there was no issue.

I think it was Schurkey that pointed out what I had overlooked - the particular OTC tester I've got is rated at 150A, and from what I can tell many of these hand-held load testers are rated near or less than that. That has me questioning if they're really an effective means of testing a 12V automotive battery. The first 10 second stab of the button returned an 11V reading which on the scale is still within "good" (I disagree), trying to start the truck immediately after that first hit resulted in a no-crank. Hit the tester for a 2nd 10 seconds, came back just under 9V.

You must be registered for see images attach

One thing's for sure; these suckers aren't the old cart-mounted Sun VAT-38 that I was used to back when I was a shop helper. I tried looking up specs on those but it's such old equipment I couldn't find what I was looking for. Some pics show the scale up top has two ranges - 100 and 500, been too many years for me to remember what scenario you'd pay attention to which scale.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they tested one I brought back for my mothers car. No sure what kind of hand held tester it was but not a typical load tester, but more involved than a DVOM. I couldn't quite see what the dude was up to. No receipt needed but helps, they log original purchase.
This August it will be 3 years old. For $140.00, it cost 12 cents per day. If it lasts another year, that’s 9 cents a day. Can’t complain with that I guess.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mine lasted 4.5 years. That's not bad overall, but for a battery that cost $220 back then, and $260 for the same one at the time it croaked (2021) I find that unacceptable. Truck is daily driven, never had charging system problems, has automatic headlights that never get left on, battery was never depleted and left to sit like that, etc. No obvious reason that it should have died early.

It replaced an Optima that had died seemingly early as well. After 2 "high end" batteries croaked early, I said F 'em. The AGM that I later put in the 300 wasn't either of these brands and it didn't cost much more than the lead-acid option. I'm not anti-AGM, I've just become anti-paying-too-much for a brand name battery that doesn't mean anything anymore.

Richard
BTW this same battery, the Odyssey "Performance" series AGM78, 78-790, which I initially paid $220 for around 2016? then was $260 when I checked in 2021, is now a whopping $332. $332 they can AGM deez nutz for that price. https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odp-agm78-battery-78-790/ so that's their suggested price, the place I got mine from in the past (Battery Mart) shows it for $310. Still a gigantic ripoff for the lifespan it delivered. I know my experience with them is just the one battery, but that stung enough I'll never risk another, especially at current pricing.

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This August it will be 3 years old. For $140.00, it cost 12 cents per day. If it lasts another year, that’s 9 cents a day. Can’t complain with that I guess.
I bought a few there for beaters and flips, can't really complain.
BTW this same battery, the Odyssey "Performance" series AGM78, 78-790, which I initially paid $220 for around 2016? then was $260 when I checked in 2021, is now a whopping $332. $332 they can AGM deez nutz for that price. https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odp-agm78-battery-78-790/ so that's their suggested price, the place I got mine from in the past (Battery Mart) shows it for $310. Still a gigantic ripoff for the lifespan it delivered. I know my experience with them is just the one battery, but that stung enough I'll never risk another, especially at current pricing.

Richard
Can't blame ya there. If they lasted 10 years like a marine I could see $350ish with tax. I have my own form of sticker shock going on as far as battery pricing.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

I thought you were in the Northeast? How are you getting so little time out of a battery? I've understood it to be the southern heat that shortens battery life to 3 years. I routinely get double and triple that because I don't have the extreme heat of places like TX or AZ. The original battery in my truck didn't last that long, but I expect OEM batteries are similar to OEM tires and they're not made like retail purchased units. All I do is keep them clean, and charged.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought you were in the Northeast? How are you getting so little time out of a battery? I've understood it to be the southern heat that shortens battery life to 3 years. I routinely get double and triple that because I don't have the extreme heat of places like TX or AZ. The original battery in my truck didn't last that long, but I expect OEM batteries are similar to OEM tires and they're not made like retail purchased units. All I do is keep them clean, and charged.
I’m not having an issue with it. (Post #24). :shocked: