AGM battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jays96

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a '96 k1500 with 5.7 l. I am having a friend install a sound system and he wants me to get an AGM battery. I will be upgrading the alternator and all my grounds but I have heard from other sources that my truck is not set up for charging AGM batteries. What I have heard is that newer vehicles that come equipped with AGM batteries Full charge AGM batteries then go into a float setting so not to overcharge. So my question is will I just be constantly over or undercharging my battery? Or does a good aftermarket alternator have a proper regulator for AGM battery? So many people, so many different opinions but thanks in advance.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love AGM batteries in certain applications, but not in our trucks.

AGM batteries are great in an application where you can shut off all the draw and leave the equipment in storage for months at a time. Pull it out, flip all the switches on, and it fires right up.

AGMs suck in applications where they have to deep cycle. If you draw an AGM down too low, they're trash. They do not tolerate getting drained below 8v. I have a stack of Optimas in my shop that I paid way too much for.

I go to Wally World and buy their 1000CA top-post battery. Flatten the end of the battery tray, trim the mounting flange on the bottom of the battery, and bolt that sucker down. It has all the starting power needed for a 350, and it has a significant overhead on capacity.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They never live more than 2 years for me as a starting battery. 100% not worth it. If you want to pay a lot for a battery, get a Lithium battery.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a SuperStart Platinum 34/78 AGM in my truck a couple years ago, we'll see how long it lasts. I do throw a trickle charge in my batteries once a Month or two.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had an AGM battery for a couple of years now. I also replaced the alternator when I replaced the battery.

Barring one freak incident where the battery lost 100% charge overnight (likely not the fault of the battery), it has had no issues.

I only got the AGM because they said it was the best and longest lasting. It was a pretty expensive battery, some $220 or so.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I've killed a couple AGM's before I switched back to standard due to the cost of the batteries.

And I can 'rejuvenate' standard batteries to gain a couple more years out of them. AGMs just go bad, there's no bringing them back around like Lead-Acid.

squeasel

Reaction score
Lead acid batteries last a long time for me ... AGM in a car do not (they did for auxiliary Diesel engine and house batteries on a sailboat with a charger and shore power though). I, too, run a smart battery charger on the Lead Acid for rejuvenation. The last AGM I had registered as the most dead battery I have every tested. My 2 cents, stick with lead acid for the truck.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lead acid, 1000cca's, never had tremendous luck with AGM's in anything, Mower, cycle, etc. And have also ran marine grade deep cycle in several vehicles with those being the longest lasting and best perforormace when you have bigger electric loads. Lithium's seem to have their own set of issues.

Chefman43223

Reaction score
WalMart or if you have a Menards when they have a 11% sale, both have free three year replacement and about the same price on the conventional battery. Sorry to get off topic a little, but in general, especially with a few of you soaking a bit of coin into the trucks, please add a kill switch.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
WalMart or if you have a Menards when they have a 11% sale, both have free three year replacement and about the same price on the conventional battery. Sorry to get off topic a little, but in general, especially with a few of you soaking a bit of coin into the trucks, please add a kill switch.

Menards carries ACDelco, but they're made in Korea and always seemed expensive to me. They have a second brand, but it something I've never heard of before. I always by batteries from Walmart.