Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Feral peasant

Reaction score
[98 k2500 5.7vortec]I have a plow set up(not being used) sub, amp, and blower always on (resistor is messed up) but my battery gauge on my dash will dip sometimes and the blower drops in speed meaning it is something electrical and not just the gauge being wacky, any ideas on what it could be? I believe the previous owner put a 135 or something amp alternator in. A couple months ago I went to advanced auto and got the amp tested and they said it was fine. I don't really have the testing equipment at all so just figured I'd toss this out and maybe someone had the same problem as me

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
[98 k2500 5.7vortec]I have a plow set up(not being used) sub, amp, and blower always on (resistor is messed up) but my battery gauge on my dash will dip sometimes and the blower drops in speed meaning it is something electrical and not just the gauge being wacky, any ideas on what it could be? I believe the previous owner put a 135 or something amp alternator in. A couple months ago I went to advanced auto and got the amp tested and they said it was fine. I don't really have the testing equipment at all so just figured I'd toss this out and maybe someone had the same problem as me
Sounds like time to upgrade your wiring with the "Big 3". The wiring was not the best on these when they were new, and you are only adding to the load in ways the factory didn't intend.
Maybe add a capacitor to your amp.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
" sub" is what? " Amp " ? = Amplifier, amps( ampere) , alternator?, blower = cabin HVAC / heater fan ? Advanced tested what amp?
Not sure what your wanting, less slang more facts maybe.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
" sub" is what? " Amp " ? = Amplifier, amps( ampere) , alternator?, blower = cabin HVAC / heater fan ? Advanced tested what amp?
I believe he's referring to an amplifier and a subwoofer. But if it's a 1000watt amp, that draws serious power. Plus a blower motor going all the time, definitely overtaxing the stock system.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
big 3 0 awg ofc dual batteries the ie (the bigest ones that wally world has that will fit) high out put alternator

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many amps do the id tags on the subwoofer and amplifier drawing?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without voltage testing--and preferably some amperage testing including parasitic draw, alternator output, and starter draw--there's essentially no hope of fixing this scientifically unless you pay someone else who has the appropriate equipment.

That leaves throwing parts at it until you finally hit on the right part.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
If it is an electric over hydralic plow pump you are going to see tha amp gauge drop even if you have twin batteries

Feral peasant

Reaction score
Amp you know the thing for a speaker? subwoofer and obviously if I'm having an electrical problem it would be amperage