New battery and issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454ssdude

Reaction score
1990 454ss Truck..... So, I've finally gotten the truck ready to go and bought a new battery this weekend. I went to advanced auto parts at bought their DieHard Platinum batteries (800 CCA), brought it home, hooked it up, and nothing. The lights came on but the truck wouldnt try to turn over. I checked the battery and it was showing 12.3 volts. I hooked up my battery charger and put it in jump mode... it took the battery to 14.3 volts. I turned the key, and it cranked right up. I took the battery back, assuming it was a bad battery. they checked it and said it was. I was going to exchange but they would out so I went to O'rylies and got a smart start battery (800 CCA). Hooked it up and the same thing happened. The date on the battery was 01/23 so I thought, let me just take it back and I got the optima red top battery (800 CCA). Hooked it up, and the same thing... Nothing... Just put it on the charger and at 14.3 the starter turned and boom, it started up. Obviously, its something with the truck. I checked my grounds and made sure they look good. They do. Its grounded to the frame and engine and no corrosion. it paint is ground away and it's silver metal under.

Any thoughts on where i should look next? Side, note.... When i cranked it yesterday, i let it run for about 10 minutes. I wasn't experiencing any loss of power so I don't think its the alternator. also, considering this is on start up, a new battery, ect... I wouldn't think the alternator is coming in to play. I could be wrong

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Assuming side posts, still. Take the hoods off the ends of the cable and check for acid/corrosion on the exposed wire. If you get a sidepost battery leaking the acid can run down the wires, under the insulation, and corrode it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Check the cables and terminals for corrosion; it may not be where you can see it, but I bet it's there. Went through this on Burb. Also check your grounds cause if they're loose it can cause no end of problems.