AGM battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Odyssey is one of the top shelf battery brands out there .
Mine lasted 4.5 years. That's not bad overall, but for a battery that cost $220 back then, and $260 for the same one at the time it croaked (2021) I find that unacceptable. Truck is daily driven, never had charging system problems, has automatic headlights that never get left on, battery was never depleted and left to sit like that, etc. No obvious reason that it should have died early.

You must be registered for see images attach

It replaced an Optima that had died seemingly early as well. After 2 "high end" batteries croaked early, I said F 'em. The AGM that I later put in the 300 wasn't either of these brands and it didn't cost much more than the lead-acid option. I'm not anti-AGM, I've just become anti-paying-too-much for a brand name battery that doesn't mean anything anymore.

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine lasted 4.5 years. That's not bad overall, but for a battery that cost $220 back then, and $260 for the same one at the time it croaked (2021) I find that unacceptable. Truck is daily driven, never had charging system problems, has automatic headlights that never get left on, battery was never depleted and left to sit like that, etc. No obvious reason that it should have died early.

It replaced an Optima that had died seemingly early as well. After 2 "high end" batteries croaked early, I said F 'em. The AGM that I later put in the 300 wasn't either of these brands and it didn't cost much more than the lead-acid option. I'm not anti-AGM, I've just become anti-paying-too-much for a brand name battery that doesn't mean anything anymore.

Richard
I get my AGM's from NAPA for about half that price. Don't know who actually makes them but I get good service from them. They last about three years in cars and bikes without the mess.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I get my AGM's from NAPA for about half that price. Don't know who actually makes them but I get good service from them. They last about three years in cars and bikes without the mess.
The 3 year life in a Harley I agree is pretty good. I've had too many where I ended up topping them up every now and then with spare acid from the bottle in the garage and just use the kicker (well last 2 bikes were kick only anyway but still needed battery juice.)

3 year life in a regular passenger vehicle I am not impressed with at all, for ANY battery. The OEM's gave us batteries that lasted anywhere from 7-10 years in many cases, yet when we replace them we get 3-4 at best.. it sucks.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive had good luck with Walmart Maxx Everstart batteries, I get at least 3-4 years of them, so a good bang for buck I feel. Just checked voltage at rest and it’s 12.65, right where it should be.

Attachments

• IMG_5805.jpeg
    IMG_5805.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 6

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1000cca battery from Walmart or Costco. Take it back every 3 years before the warranty is up and get a new one. Do it in the parking lot. Plus if one does fail there are Walmarts and Costcos everywhere.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1000cca battery from Walmart or Costco. Take it back every 3 years before the warranty is up and get a new one. Do it in the parking lot. Plus if one does fail there are Walmarts and Costcos everywhere.
Do you need the original receipt and do they test/inspect when returning?