Replacement engine input, brands?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rangejunkie

Reaction score
Hi all,
I know this has been discussed, but every search shows to be an older post. My truck has about 280k on it and oil pressure has started to drop to about 8 psi when warm while idling. Shop said that it is probably a worn engine. With that said. Any ideas on bringing it back to life. When cold oil pressure is around 35 or so. This is with 5w30 oil. I haven't looked at engines in several years. Back then jegs and jasper engines were the ones to go with, but now I have read some saying stay away from them. I am looking for just a direct replacement that will last, not planning on modifying anything just a good reliable daily. Of course the lower the price is nice, but I do realize you get what you pay for. Off the cuff price my local shop quoted was $8k, but that seems a little high or am I wrong? Anyways, any ideas of extending the life of my current engine (already swapping to a heavier oil), or what brands of engine manufacture / rebuild to look at or stay away from.

Thank yall for the help.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings rangejunkie,

Here's a current thread that is discussing the same issue, and you might find
to be informative: (Low Oil Pressure at a Hot Idle)

And if you decide to just swap in a replacement, I'll defer to others who
have firsthand knowledge about which vendors are your best bet.

Good luck...and Welcome to the GMT400 forum!

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings rangejunkie,

Here's a current thread that is discussing the same issue, and you might find
to be informative: (Low Oil Pressure at a Hot Idle)

And if you decide to just swap in a replacement, I'll defer to others who
have firsthand knowledge about which vendors are your best bet.

Good luck...and Welcome to the GMT400 forum!
That was quite a post R-T.
That viscosity vs temp chart was very interesting.

Pleased to meet you rangejunkie. I take it you're pro 2A?
Next oil change go to 10w-40,older,higher mileage motors need it.

rangejunkie

Reaction score
That was quite a post R-T.
That viscosity vs temp chart was very interesting.

Pleased to meet you rangejunkie. I take it you're pro 2A?
Next oil change go to 10w-40,older,higher mileage motors need it.
Just a little bit. What gave it away. Haha. My local shop went ahead and put 20w-50 in it so I'll see how that does for a little bit then I'll mess around with oils. The truck has 280k some odd miles on original engine and transmission. My dad had it since 1994 until I talked him out of it this year. He drove it till 2016 when he parked it. But that wasn't due to oil pressure he said the transmission started to slip some, but I haven't felt it yet.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a little bit. What gave it away. Haha. My local shop went ahead and put 20w-50 in it so I'll see how that does for a little bit then I'll mess around with oils. The truck has 280k some odd miles on original engine and transmission. My dad had it since 1994 until I talked him out of it this year. He drove it till 2016 when he parked it. But that wasn't due to oil pressure he said the transmission started to slip some, but I haven't felt it yet.

Sir, please be sure to report back with what the 20W-50 oil gives you for a hot idle oil pressure.

Based upon my own experience, it will definitely make an improvement, but only do so
indefinitely. Best case, it will buy you some additional time with which to figure out what
the best long-term solution is for you & your truck.

Good on you for keeping Dad's truck rolling...like it should be! :)

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roll your own? Any wildcats?
You never did say what year your truck is,'94?
Hopefully that 20w-50 will keep you rolling for a while. I'm guessing your not mechanically inclined enough to rebuild the old motor yourself?
The only name that comes to mind as any rebuider I would farm out a job like that would be Jasper. All rebuilders have bad days,seems Jasper has fewer of them.

rangejunkie

Reaction score
Sir, please be sure to report back with what the 20W-50 oil gives you for a hot idle oil pressure.

Based upon my own experience, it will definitely make an improvement, but only do so
indefinitely. Best case, it will buy you some additional time with which to figure out what

Hopefully it'll buy me about a year. Should be able to save up enough to do a replacement by then if I can get some overtime. I also don't drive the truck every day. Before this truck I only put about 10k a year on my diesel. I'm fortunate that I have a work truck I take home for my job.

rangejunkie

Reaction score
Roll your own? Any wildcats?
You never did say what year your truck is,'94?
Hopefully that 20w-50 will keep you rolling for a while. I'm guessing your not mechanically inclined enough to rebuild the old motor yourself?
The only name that comes to mind as any rebuider I would farm out a job like that would be Jasper. All rebuilders have bad days,seems Jasper has fewer of them.
I can rebuild one myself. Just a time thing. I just had a little one so spending time with the family takes priority rather than wrenching all the time like I used too, but if it can buy me a year i do have an old 4 bolt in the shop that if the block is good i might be able to knock out in a few weekends. (It's got a hole in the oil pan, came out of an old project truck) Trust me taking something to a shop is my last resort. I do roll my own but no wildcats. Mainly focus on precision and sub stuff. Do a little competition stuff sometimes when I get free time, but that's getting more and more scarce. Haha.

rangejunkie

Reaction score

Will do. I hope it gets me by for about a year. I'm hoping to get it to where my little girl can grow up in the same truck I did.