Engine running rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartinZ28

Reaction score
I own a 1997 chevy 1500 with a 5.7 i have had this issue for a month now. The truck starts up fine and drives around fine in parking lots, when i get on to a mine road it hesitates and has no power. When i do give more gas it backfires a few times and i let off. When i smash the gas it hesitates and backfires it goes but it burbles the whole time i’m going full throttle. I usually do all the work myself, i installed longtube headers around 4 years ago now and left the egr tube cut hanging around the engine block. I honestly don’t think that is the issue as well as not having o2 sensors. recently changed fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs and wires, cap, rotor and egr .all with in a years time frame. I’ve taken it to a mechanic, one refused to look further in because no o2 sensors, another shop said everything looked fine. If any one has any ideas please let me know.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. You need a functioning EGR or you need a computer tune to delete and compensate for the blocked EGR. You need to block it not just let it hang.

2. You need the front two o2 sensors! Like you really need them lol. The rear o2 sensors can be deleted no issue but the front ones are how the computer knows how to adjust the air fuel ratio.

3. You fuel mileage must be terrible!!! Enlighten us with how much fuel this thing is wasting???

4. You would be better off with a carb at this point. Or fix it right.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree fix it one way or the other but the half*** in-between is killing it

MartinZ28

Reaction score
1. You need a functioning EGR or you need a computer tune to delete and compensate for the blocked EGR. You need to block it not just let it hang.

2. You need the front two o2 sensors! Like you really need them lol. The rear o2 sensors can be deleted no issue but the front ones are how the computer knows how to adjust the air fuel ratio.

3. You fuel mileage must be terrible!!! Enlighten us with how much fuel this thing is wasting???

4. You would be better off with a carb at this point. Or fix it right.
I have the front o2 sensors plugged into the headers, i just have no cats. or the o2 sensors that go to them. fuel mileage is trash but always has been i can usually get 250 miles on a full tank.