Crank no start/rough cold starts Need help chasing DTC codes 1996 K1500 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srodz99

Reaction score
My 1996 K1500 Z71 5.7 is giving me lots of problems. I started having crank no start issues with DTC codes p0308 (cylinder 8 misfire), P0102 (MAF sensor circuit low frequency) and P1441 (EVAP system flow during non purge). I replaced the MAF sensor and harness with no luck. The truck still runs rough on cold starts and DTC P0300 (cylinder misfires) popped up, the crank position sensor and harness were in very bad shape so I replaced both, but no change. Now DTC P0171 (vehicle lean code) pops up, so I conducted vacuum leak tests using smoke, then tired carb cleaner and finally my shop vac blowing air into the vacuum hose line. Only found a couple of small leaks, fixed them and still no dice. So here is the pattern I am seeing, when it is cold and wet outside the truck refuses to start and backfires bad during cranking, grinding the starter. When the engine is just cold, it cranks and either idles very low or high rpm then dies. Takes several cranks to get it going, but once up to operating temp it runs fine. On dry hot days, the truck starts and runs fine. The intake manifold gaskets have been replaced, new fuel pump, all new 4 gauge ground wires, new MAF sensor, crank sensor and cam sensor with harnesses. I suspect all these issues are either electrical wire/harness problems or maybe the PCM/ECM. I am open to any advice, suggestions, or recommendations. Thanks in advance!