Crank no start no rpm 96 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevmore007

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread, but maybe we will all figure this out together.
I replaced the crank sensor, and hooked up a scanner and am getting rpm, and spark, and it coughs a bit now. I am waiting for the snow to melt because it's outside and it snows in March and April and May sometimes June. The next thing I am going to do is check TDC and find out if the distributor isn't off by a tooth.

Kevmore007

Reaction score
Update. I can make the coil fire if I take the sensor out and take a screwdriver and pass it across the sensor the coil fires every time I do that. When I install the sensor it doesn't fire.
Since the original sensor was damaged, how likely is the gear butchered bad enough not to work?

I am getting ready to LS swap this thing, and I only need it to run long enough to back it up the driveway into the garage. It's too steep to push it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can make the coil fire if I take the sensor out and take a screwdriver and pass it across the sensor the coil fires every time I do that.
That seems to verify the rest of the ignition system. Good.

When I install the sensor it doesn't fire.
Since the original sensor was damaged, how likely is the gear butchered bad enough not to work?
I wouldn't expect that...but clearly something is wrong with the sensor/reluctor system, and the sensor seems to work. So that leaves the reluctor.