97 k1500 5.7 Crank No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin97z

Reaction score
Was having intermittent issues with my truck, it would start, drive fine and then after an hour or few I’d go back to it and. It would crank no start.

Started with starting fluid no problem

Replaced battery and terminals, fuel pump, tank and filter (all were over due and rotten/bad) but would still have to start the truck with starting fluid.

Didn’t touch the truck for 2 months (work and life gets in the way lol) now truck will not start at all. Cranks healthy just fine, and wants to get going with starter fluid but will not come to life. Does not want to run.

Where should I go from here, should I test the fuel pressure? Give it a scan? Maybe it’s the Ignition control module or max sensor. Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Runs on starting fluid is usually a fuel delivery issue. I would start by checking the fuel pressure, there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail. If pressure is good, the injectors are suspect. Could be clogged from the bad tank.

Justin97z

Reaction score
I’ll check that for sure. If it’s that whole spider unit I should get that upgraded unit. Should I computer scan it as well?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for codes, and checking the data stream is never a bad idea.

Verify fuel pressure first.

The fact that starting fluid tends to get the engine running means this is likely a fueling problem--but it could be injectors or injector control.

The OEM spiders seem to be a high-failure item, as do the intake gaskets.

Justin97z

Reaction score
Runs on starting fluid is usually a fuel delivery issue. I would start by checking the fuel pressure, there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail. If pressure is good, the injectors are suspect. Could be clogged from the bad tank.s
Looking for codes, and checking the data stream is never a bad idea.

Verify fuel pressure first.

The fact that starting fluid tends to get the engine running means this is likely a fueling problem--but it could be injectors or injector control.

The OEM spiders seem to be a high-failure item, as do the intake gaskets.
Currently at the moment starting fluid doesn’t even get the truck running, it will WANT to try and get running but once I let off the fluid it just cranks. Has spark. Maybe no air either but definitely gonna check fuel pressure. Thanks guys :)

Side note I should check the air intake for any nests or something could be blocking I see a few mouse turds…

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a dry intake so it's not really going to actually run on the sauce. You're just trying to make bangalization to verify spark, timing, and compression are showing up to the party.