Crank, no start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdash

Reaction score
2000 k3500 crank, no start. Bought a truck that has had tons of parts thrown at it. Just about everything fuel, spark related has been replaced. Only time I got it to start is backing it into the shop, just turned the key and it started. Ran terrible then died. Has good compression, spark and is holding 55psi fuel with key on. Verified distributor is timed properly on TDC 1. Passlock is bypassed. Ether doesn't help. It did make loud pop out of the exhaust after cranking for a while and once out of the intake. I would on heavy duty diesels, first time working on a gasser that is this involved.
My next steps are to vacuum test and oil pressure test. Quite a bit of gunk up top when I pulled valve cover.
Any other ideas?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2000 k3500 crank, no start. Bought a truck that has had tons of parts thrown at it. Just about everything fuel, spark related has been replaced. Only time I got it to start is backing it into the shop, just turned the key and it started. Ran terrible then died. Has good compression, spark and is holding 55psi fuel with key on. Verified distributor is timed properly on TDC 1. Passlock is bypassed. Ether doesn't help. It did make loud pop out of the exhaust after cranking for a while and once out of the intake. I would on heavy duty diesels, first time working on a gasser that is this involved.
My next steps are to vacuum test and oil pressure test. Quite a bit of gunk up top when I pulled valve cover.
Any other ideas?
Have you checked out the factory service repair manuals yet?
They are in the engine and performance section, in a sticky. Lots of trouble shooting in them.

Tossing it out there....check ALL the fuses??
The vats can definitely be an issue.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Plug in a scanner and look at coolant temp sensor. When they fail they read like 40 below and truck won't start because it's so pig rich

tdash

Reaction score
Have you checked out the factory service repair manuals yet?
They are in the engine and performance section, in a sticky. Lots of trouble shooting in them.

Tossing it out there....check ALL the fuses??
The vats can definitely be an issue.
No, I’ll take a look.
Plug in a scanner and look at coolant temp sensor. When they fail they read like 40 below and truck won't start because it's so pig rich
had a scan tool on it. I think I remember seeing it at 59*

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What vacuum test? When you turn key to " on or run " not start position , do you hear fuel pump prime?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2000 k3500 crank, no start.
WHAT ENGINE???

Has good compression,
Define "good".

TO the plugs, or across the plug gap? In other words, are the spark plugs fouled/broken, or contaminated/conductive porcelain?

and is holding 55psi fuel with key on.
What is GM spec for fuel pressure?

Verified distributor is timed properly on TDC 1.
What is the cam offset? Within spec?

Exhaust restricted? Catalyst(s) plugged, pipes crushed?