No crank no start 98 Chevy k2500 5.7 vortex (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Feral peasant

Reaction score
I have a crank no start as said in title, I've replaced starter, the solenoid in the fan shroud, reran starter wire that runs to the battery. I have one other idea that is the fuse but I won't be able to find out until later. I turn it over to start nothing happens my abs light that is on turns off and nothing else turns off. Any ideas? Grounds maybe idk, there is what looks to be a braided ground wire that's broken that runs along the frame and goes up to the cab. Also another wire broke but it ran fine without it (it comes from the bottom back of the engine block and went into the shroud the starter wire came out of)

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a crank no start as said in title, I've replaced starter, the solenoid in the fan shroud, reran starter wire that runs to the battery. I have one other idea that is the fuse but I won't be able to find out until later. I turn it over to start nothing happens my abs light that is on turns off and nothing else turns off. Any ideas? Grounds maybe idk, there is what looks to be a braided ground wire that's broken that runs along the frame and goes up to the cab. Also another wire broke but it ran fine without it (it comes from the bottom back of the engine block and went into the shroud the starter wire came out of)

Greetings & welcome to the GMT400 forum!

In order to get a better feel for whatever ails your K2500, if you could
take a moment and share a brief history of how this truck has functioned?

* Has it ever worked for you, or did you buy it for the right place because it didn't start?
* If it used to work, but quit, how long has it been sitting? How strong is the battery? Fully charged?
* Was it running perfectly & suddenly stopped? Or did it grow more intermittent over time, until it finally stopped responding at all?
* Theft recovery? Recent Accident?

You get the picture. Those of us who try to troubleshoot remotely need as many clues as
you can give us to work with.

Alright, a No Crank/No Start situation is normally something straightforward, fixed with a fresh battery,
starter swap, or the tightening of a electrical connector. But if all this have already been double-checked,
let's dig a little deeper.

How about we first identify what specific fuses are involved, and have you check those first? And
if we don't find anything there, then split your engine cranking circuit near the middle, in order to try and figure
out which direction (upstream or downstream) we need to go?

Here's the start circuit wiring diagram for your '98, control side first:
You must be registered for see images attach

NOTE: Fuse 6 (IGN A) is located in the "Underhood Fuse Block", whereas Fuse 8 (CRANK) is located in the Instrument Panel fuse block. You need *both*.
If either one is blown, then no joy. Replace, retry. If it now works, why did the fuse originally blow? On the other hand, if it blows again,
then we need to identify what's causing the excessive current draw.

To help you navigate the Underhood Fuse Block, I've attached 3 pics: a look at the legend on underside of the dust cover,
a bird's-eye view of actual unit, and finally how the relay sockets are laid out, comparing wiring diagram numbering scheme to
physical implementation.

Note that in this photo I'm actually showing you the Fuel Pump Relay socket, but since all 3 relays on the lefthand side are identical and
the plug orientations match, if you follow the legend and pull the starter relay (upper Left corner in the photo) you should be good to go.

*CAUTION*

The next step involves jumpering 12v power. Unless you are completely confident, capable, and comfortable
doing this,
STOP here & take this to a qualified mechanic and let them troubleshoot this.

OK, you still want to proceed? Before going any further, if the truck is an Automatic, it must be in either Park or Neutral.

Parking brake set. Wheels safety chocked. Or enlist a helper with a foot firmly on the brake pedal. And if it is a standard,
it MUST be in neutral.
Why all the precautions?

A: Because for troubleshooting purposes we are temporarily jumpering around the Clutch Safety / Neutral Safety Switches,
and if the precautions above are not honored, the engine could turn over, start, truck takes off, folks get hurt, news at 11. (!)

Still here? Alright, one more wiring diagram to look at so that you understand what I am asking you to jumper: (Starter Relay socket, Pin 30 to Pin 87)

You must be registered for see images attach

Looking at the schematic, if we were to take a wire and jumper Pin 30 to Pin 87, this will apply
Power from Fuse #6 directly to the Starter Solenoid. IF this gets the engine cranking, then we
now know that we have a Control issue:

* Starter Relay bad, or
* something upstream in the control chain, possibly all the way back to the Ignition Switch.

On the other hand, if the starter *still does not crank*, then obviously head down to the starter.
And as @xXxPARAGONxXx stated, fix the grounds. No broken grounds allowed anywhere in the
GMT400 engine bay.

Actually, it could be argued that you should try to fix any obvious wiring issues *before* trying
the diagnostic step I outlined above.

Enough for now, I'll stop here and await a status report from you before going any further. If you
have any questions don't hesitate to ask. And sometimes a photo to go along with the question
is invaluable/saves time.

Let us know what you discover.

Good luck --

Attachments

• Underhood Fuse Block Cover Legend (sml).jpg
    Underhood Fuse Block Cover Legend (sml).jpg
    381 KB · Views: 25
  • bird's eye view of Underhood Fuse Block close up (opt).jpg
    bird's eye view of Underhood Fuse Block close up (opt).jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Fuel Pump Relay Socket in Underhood Fuse Block (marked up) .jpg
    Fuel Pump Relay Socket in Underhood Fuse Block (marked up) .jpg
    298 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

You have loaded and fired the parts cannon with no luck. Address the obvious ground strap, even if it does not fix this problem. A no crank condition will not be fixed by a cap, rotor or coil. Does the engine crank if you cross at the starter solenoid? Mr. @Road Trip is giving you great info. Likely gonna find a component in the crank circuit. One other thing that may have been asked already, any recent work on truck and where?

Feral peasant

Reaction score

You have loaded and fired the parts cannon with no luck. Address the obvious ground strap, even if it does not fix this problem. A no crank condition will not be fixed by a cap, rotor or coil. Does the engine crank if you cross at the starter solenoid? Mr. @Road Trip is giving you great info. Likely gonna find a component in the crank circuit. One other thing that may have been asked already, any recent work on truck and where?
We tried the screwdriver trick it just spun that's after we installed the new starter so we got a new solenoid that's mounted on the fan shroud but didn't label wires like idiots and threw them on where we thought they'd go ill attach some images and a video

Attachments

• IMG_20240203_113538820.jpg
    IMG_20240203_113538820.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240203_113530573.jpg
    IMG_20240203_113530573.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240203_113452579.jpg
    IMG_20240203_113452579.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240203_113448162.jpg
    IMG_20240203_113448162.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 11

Feral peasant

Reaction score

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We tried the screwdriver trick it just spun that's after we installed the new starter so we got a new solenoid that's mounted on the fan shroud but didn't label wires like idiots and threw them on where we thought they'd go ill attach some images and a video

Viewed the photos and watched your video.

What prompted you guys to abandon the factory wiring and replace
it with a a remote starter solenoid on the fan shroud?

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that what that is? I bought the truck about a year ago so I'm trying to figure out all the redneck engineering that's going on

Sir,

This is actually starting to make some sense. I say this because anyone who
would brew up something like that wouldn't turn around and ask for help, if
you know what I mean. :0)

Q1: Are you comfortable reading GM wiring diagrams like I posted above?

Q2: Can you find a '96+ GMT400 in a local wrecking yard where the engine bay
wiring has been undisturbed? (Good for reference photos + a rescue/repair harness
if the hackery has spread beyond the start circuit?)

IF we could get your vehicle back to the original wiring layout I am confident
that we can undo the damage. But at the same time I am not interested
in getting tangled up in a doomed repair implemented with wire nuts & duct tape.

But if you are willing to do what it takes to repair the electrical harness so that
it is part of the solution instead of part of the problem then between you, the
factory service manuals, plus the folks in here with years of experience, then
I think we can keep your GMT400 from the crusher.

Give it some thought, talk to your buddies, and let us know what you decide.