Tbi rough cold starts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Totally unrelated question(although I noticed it when I was doing the plug wires, so kinda related lol) My dipstick tube has been kind of broken for a while, the tab that bolts it down to the cylinder head is broke. Today I noticed my dipstick tube wiggles all over and it feels like its ready to come out of the hole in the block.

My question is, does the dipstick tube have an o-ring on the side that goes into the block? And will a replacement come with a new o-ring?

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the tube just is pushed into the block, no o-ring or seal involved.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the tube just is pushed into the block, no o-ring or seal involved.
Ok thank you, I did confirm this today no oring.

Because the upper bolt for the tube that bolts into the head is missing, the dipstick tube can freely move up and down, if I wanted to I could pull it all the way out of the block. This up and down motion is causing a small oil leak when the truck is moving down the road.

Going to get a new bolt ASAP, just don’t know the thread size, so may end up pulling one at the junkyard.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the bolt is 1/4-20 but if the tab on the tube is broken off a bot alone will not fix it.

phantom 309

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
you might examine your ect plug pigtail,. if its got green monster in it, it will read erroneously.
If your iac is not moving enough it won't have high idle cold but will have enough to run warm.
You may also have a small tbi to intake gasket leak,.
Tbi is sensitive to iat too, and lastly the hot air pipe off the pass manifold really helps with smooth warm ups,.

good luck

Shannon78

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a 94 k1500 with a 5.7 tbi.

Every cold start until the engine warms up it runs not good at all. It stumbles and has a obvious misfire with a pop from the exhaust.

Has new cap, rotor, temp sensor, plugs, fuel pump.

I did notice that my truck doesn’t seem to have the high idle that other TBIs have. I notice right from cold start that the rpm’s don’t stay higher and then gradually come down, it just starts and instantly goes down to 650rpm and runs rough until she warms up. Could a bad IAC or something cause this?

What else do you guys think it could be?

I do have a small exhaust leak from the header flange because my shorty headers have a crack. It is before the one O2 sensor, so could that be throwing off my AFR?

Wow! Thank you for the heads up. Will definitely look elsewhere.

getting a reddevilriver tool to hookup to TunerProRT for live data.
Check for a intake leak also. I just fixed mine and it sounds like it's doing the same as it was.