Tunerpro log - rough cold start 1995 7.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyhow, to my assessment, timing and MAP still seem erratic. I'm going to be getting stuff to hook up my fuel pressure gauge once I figure out the fittings necessary to do so, and have the cash to purchase them.
You must be registered for see images attach
Look at timing at the 3 minute mark, see the spike?

In this shot, you have temp, Timing, and TPS - WTF?
You must be registered for see images attach

Normally, I would say the timing spikes are caused by the ICM and/or Coil but, how does the Water Temp spike? It may have a loose connection, bad wire, or at last resort - bad PCM.

I went through the rest of the log and noted more anomalies...
16:00 - Timing, 16:30 - Temp, 18:35 - Timing, 22:00 - Timing, 22:36 - Timing. The warmer it got, the more frequent the anomalies, especially the Timing.

1.) Check your wiring/connections (including grounds) at the T-Stat and Distributor (2 wires to Ignition Coil, 2 wires inside from ICM to Pickup Coil), and 4 wires to the PCM.
2.) How old and what manufacturer is you Ignition Coil and ICM? Is the Pickup Coil magnet cracked?

BTW - it looks like you fixed all the Malf Codes unless, you didn't run long enough for the EGR. Probably need to drive it around to get the EGR to work. On my old 7747 it wouldn't open until the Temp came up and you're cruising at around or over 45 MPH. HTH

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Looking at all this info I'm inclined to install a heated O2 sensor.....is it hard to do?

Last edited:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
didn't run long enough for the EGR
^I suspect this is accurate as it’s about 3 miles to my in-laws place.
Check your wiring/connections (including grounds) at the T-Stat and Distributor (2 wires to Ignition Coil, 2 wires inside from ICM to Pickup Coil), and 4 wires to the PCM
All grounds on intake were cleaned and hit with dielectric grease when I did the intake not long ago. Wires are definitely old and could probably stand some TLC. Need to get appropriate wire and terminals to R&R them.
2.) How old and what manufacturer is you Ignition Coil and ICM? Is the Pickup Coil magnet cracked?
Coil I believe to be OEM, it’s riveted to the bracket. ICM is Carquest came in the new dizzy to replace the OE with cracked magnets. Will have to inspect it again to verify no cracks.
Also I had problems with bad ICMs making it run like crap at idle,finally got a good one(Delphi if I remember correctly) and it's been fine for a few years.
I’d like to not void the lifetime warranty on the dizzy, but the paperwork with it said the cap and rotor on it are supposed to be lifetime for the unit as well. Even had stickers saying removal voids warranty.

DoubleC96

Reaction score
Any chance the temp sensor is bad and giving the wrong temp to the computer?

My truck recently had no codes and had very inconsistent idle especially cold. Replacing the temp sensor made all the difference.

This was after replacing many other standard tune up things/sensors and disconnecting battery to get computer reset. I thought my computer was going out until swapping the sensor. It solved most if not all the idling issues.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Any chance the temp sensor is bad and giving the wrong temp to the computer?

My truck recently had no codes and had very inconsistent idle especially cold. Replacing the temp sensor made all the difference.

This was after replacing many other standard tune up things/sensors and disconnecting battery to get computer reset. I thought my computer was going out until swapping the sensor. It solved most if not all the idling issues.
I'm not too suspicious of the ect. Appears to read ambient at startup and seems to follow the sender in the head for the cluster guage.