Starting issue after sitting over 15 minutes, P1351 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamwatson27

Reaction score
I've been battling a starting issue for almost two years with my 1998 K1500. I apologize for this being long winded but I will try to be a detailed as possible. It will start up perfect on a cold start and shows no signs of issues while driving. If it sits for 5 minutes, it will start up fine. If it sits longer than 15 minutes, it struggles to start. Here is a run down on my troubleshooting:

Issue began after I replaced my lower intake gaskets. During that process I determined my old fuel injection system was potentially leaking inside the intake so I switched to a MPFI system (Standard Ignition FJ504.) After reassembly the truck ran fine until I later discovered the starting issue triggering a P1351 code.

Replaced the Ignition control module (DELPHI DS10039) and ignition coil (NGK 48604.) Cleared the codes, tested it, same issue and same code came back.

Verified fuel pressure, seemed to be within spec and did not dip significantly enough during start up or running.

Truck has 200k miles, so I opted to change the distributor (UNITED MOTOR PRODUCTS 9362.) Verified the timing retard was within 2 degrees with my scan tool after installation, no change.

Took the pickup to a shop for troubleshooting. It was there for 2.5 weeks before they called to determine they could not pinpoint the issue. They had a theory there might be an issue with the fuel pump. Seemed unlikely since I replaced it and fuel filter roughly two years prior but I changed it out under warranty anyway. No change.

Replaced the ICM under warranty just to rule that out. Since then, I replaced the MPFI system again under warranty, EGR valve, MAF and MAP, crank sensor twice, fuel pump relay, battery (not related). Spark plugs were swapped out about 5k miles prior. Plug wires and starter have about 20k miles replaced in 2019.

Went through the DTC P1351 troubleshooting steps in the chevy manual. Verified all of the connections were either reading what they were supposed to or were not showing an open circuit. Eventually got to the point where it suggested replacing the ECM. Decided to opt out of the black box and switch over to the 0411 ECU. Wired up everything up thanks to Lextech. Issue still persists.

Now that I have hptuners to program to 0411 during this process, I recorded two datalogs hopefully showing this issue. One is it after sitting roughly 5 minutes after running some errands, the second is roughly 30 minutes after the previous data log. I exported the logs to the attached zip file, hopefully that works to view if not I can email them to whoever wants to review.

I feel like I've dug through hundreds of threads searching for a solution so I apologize if this is a pretty redundant topic. I appreciate any assistance and let me know if there is anymore details I am missing. Thanks!

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    15.8 KB · Views: 11

JBis

Reaction score
I do not have a solution, but here is something I found out. 2000 c3500 5.7. New cap, rotor, coil and icm. All Delphi, delco or standard. Holding the throttle about 1/8 - 1/4 down while starting during the problem period has me start it with no problem. I don’t know where to go from there other than making an attempt to follow the factor manual tomorrow.

r32flow

Reaction score
I'm having the same exact issue. I've replaced most of what you mentioned.

My ICMs are lasting 3 to 4 days.

adamwatson27

Reaction score
I replaced the MPFI system again have been testing it the last few months. I returned the standard ignition system back to oreillys and tried one from the 1A auto brand. That seems to have fixed my issue from what I can tell. I’m not sure if that will fix your ICM issue however, that might be more wiring related