Tbi rough cold starts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do have an EGR valve still installed. The diaphragm seems to hold pressure as it should with the old finger holding test lol.

At one point I did disconnect the vac lines to it and plugged them off, that made no difference in cold engine operation.
blocking off the vac lines only eliminates the vac lines as a problem. the EGR valve in the '91 passed the diaphragm test too, but it wasn't seating fully all the time.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
blocking off the vac lines only eliminates the vac lines as a problem. the EGR valve in the '91 passed the diaphragm test too, but it wasn't seating fully all the time.
Okay thanks! I may try making a block off plate out of some sheet metal with a gasket under it.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just updating yall. Was looking at different TBI cold start videos, my truck almost sounds exactly like this one on cold start. Stumbly with a pop out the exhaust which sounds like a misfire.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well folks might've found something. Replaced the ECT in 5 minutes, truck ran the same as always.

However, I used the throttle on the tbi to rev the engine under the hood, and thats when I got zapped by what felt like a spark.

My plug wires run right next to the tbi, and I think one of them has ripped rubber somewhere and grounded against the tbi unit, shocking me.

Time to get some new plug wires!

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
open the hood at night or in a dark garage, makes it easy to spot if you have bad wires

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
open the hood at night or in a dark garage, makes it easy to spot if you have bad wires
Yeah definitely going to do that tonight, going to get the wires now but am going to check that before touching them.

99% sure it’s the wires though, they look old and worn

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah definitely going to do that tonight, going to get the wires now but am going to check that before touching them.

99% sure it’s the wires though, they look old and worn
i've also spotted cracked spark plugs this way too

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah definitely the wires, no night test needed. Just looked at the one next to the tbi unit and its ripped in multiple spots.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well new wires are in, routing is pretty terrible but its not going to hit the headers or anything hot, so good enough for now. 5 & 7 wires are also not right on top of each other.

Just cold started it again, its still a bit stumbly when cold but am happy to report the popping misfire out of the exhaust is gone now!

The lengths of the wires from NAPA weren't exact, so there's only so much I can do. I matched up the old lengths the best I could and put them in the same spot.

You must be registered for see images attach