98 5.7 vortec won't start in the cold, crank but no start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turnerg5

Reaction score
When it's about 30 degrees F or lower my 5.7 will crank but not start, above 30 below 40 If I do get it to start it will pitter out for a few cranks, and then might finally grab on spit a little and then run perfect and super strong, no rough idle and no performance issues.

Has new starter, new battery, new alternator, new fuel pump relay and I can hear the fuel pump running. Haven't checked pressure yet but am assuming it's good considering how it runs after starting.

Am thinking either fuel pressure regulator or spark plugs but am not sure and would like second opinions.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connect a scan tool. Verify the coolant temp sensor especially, but all the sensors and computer outputs in general.

What is the fuel pressure during the prime cycle when the key is turned from "Off" to "Run"?

How old is the distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, and spark plugs?

turnerg5

Reaction score
Connect a scan tool. Verify the coolant temp sensor especially, but all the sensors and computer outputs in general.

What is the fuel pressure during the prime cycle when the key is turned from "Off" to "Run"?

How old is the distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, and spark plugs?
Just talked to the previous owner and it sounds like plugs were done a couple months ago. Scan tool didn't show any codes or anything. I don't have time to check the fuel pressure or verify any sensors atm, I imagine cap, rotor and plug wires are original, not sure though.