Dorman hinge pins are garbage.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To reiterate and sound like the proverbial broken record, no bushing made of kryptonite by Bavarian Elves in the zero gravity of deep space will address the issue if the uppermost hole in the uppermost hinge is wallowed out. This is the hole where there is a tight interference fit.
Oh, the door will be fine for a month or even six, but it'll sag sooner than later. Guys who are declaring success immediately after installing new pins/bushings are being premature.......

Over the past 7-8 years I have tried most of the popular bushings on the drivers side of my 96, including GM bushings, to no avail. When I spot welded the top pin to the top hole it has--so far--been a long term fix (that's a caveat in case no one noticed).

I have a couple sets of over sized bushings (National brand, I think), but I'm glad I didn't go through the agony of boring out the pin holes to install them because it appears it would have been another futile effort on my part to resolve the problem.

I've replaced the pins, bushings, and/or roller pins on all four doors of my 96 and 97 K1500's (on the drivers side of my 96, at least 4 times, maybe five), I may not be an expert but I've got experience to go along with the learning curve......

Can you post a pic of where and how you spot welded it?

1995 Z71 standard cab stepside
Swapping to 1996 Vortec OBD II

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Huh, that’s crazy. I was a bit skeptical about it being a GM part on Amazon, but sure enough it’s listed on gm parts websites. I, too, had never heard of these. Definitely interested in how they work out.

jaxcob

Reaction score
following because i have the bushing kits just laying around putting it off because I'm eyeing the gm grease-able kits. My doors arent aligned well anymore and besides the wind noise, its just aggravating having to focus on closing the doors. Wanting to do it right the first time but not wanting to drop $85 on one door if its not going to work that much better.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
For anyone whose used the AC Delco Grease able Pins: when you installed them, how tight did you make them? I still have some threads left on mine but the door doesn't sag.. is that okay? Any input would be great.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I just used the Dorman pins about 4 weeks ago and the bushings are already crumbling and the door is sagging again. After seeing this thread, I've ordered the GM greasable pins from Amazon. They were supposed to be delivered yesterday, but there was a delay. Hopefully they will be here today. I need to get someone else besides my wife to help me this time (son is away at college). SHe had one job! Keep the door balanced and held upright and don't let it tip over. That project/conversation didn't end too well. :(

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Engine hoist, thick towel, and a strap works, too. Once you've got the harnesses disconnected and pins loose, you can simply lower the door down onto the hoists's legs (throw a moving blanket down) and get your work done. One man job.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard