Dorman hinge pins are garbage.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what is the word for decent bushings? I replaced the pins and bushings (Dorman) on the driver door of my '97 K3500 and the bushings are starting to crumble after a few months.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am doing mine again this week also. Cunninghams this time. I park the truck under some rafters, open door, screw 2x4 across rafters directly above and at same angle as door, use two ratchet straps thru open window and around bottom to cradle door and allow for easy adjustments. Pretty simple process and a one man show. Balancing it on something never worked for me. Hanging it is much much easier imo.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
So what is the word for decent bushings? I replaced the pins and bushings (Dorman) on the driver door of my '97 K3500 and the bushings are starting to crumble after a few months.
I did the same with the Dorman pin/bushings and afterward ordered the GM greasable pins and bushings off Amazon. I got aggravated trying to screw the greasable pin together in the door and ended up just using my old door pins. That was an expensive lesson just for the bushings. THis was before I saw the post from Cunningham Machine for their bushings. If I ever need to change out my passenger door bushings, I'd order theirs and reuse my factory pins.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did the same with the Dorman pin/bushings and afterward ordered the GM greasable pins and bushings off Amazon. I got aggravated trying to screw the greasable pin together in the door and ended up just using my old door pins. That was an expensive lesson just for the bushings. THis was before I saw the post from Cunningham Machine for their bushings. If I ever need to change out my passenger door bushings, I'd order theirs and reuse my factory pins.

Yea, I am looking at the Cunnigham ones. A LOT cheaper than those on Amazon. Pins are fine.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am doing mine again this week also. Cunninghams this time. I park the truck under some rafters, open door, screw 2x4 across rafters directly above and at same angle as door, use two ratchet straps thru open window and around bottom to cradle door and allow for easy adjustments. Pretty simple process and a one man show. Balancing it on something never worked for me. Hanging it is much much easier imo.
Yup, I used ratchet straps hanging from my frontend loader!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My Dorman pins are still holding. I remember deer hunting with my other dogs (all passed), they could get in and out of the cab without opening the doors. Scratches plus.
I think the quality has slipped. They never really were great, but a bunch of us used Dorman many years ago and they were "OK" - now we hear a lot more often of people using them and they don't last at all. Some of that may be due to more wear in the hinge, aggressive tweaking of the door in an attempt to adjust it, etc. which will stress any brand of bushing you put in there. But, my bet is, Dorman quality has probably gotten worse, as cheap things tend to do. Some of their stuff isn't worth throwing straight into the dumpster.

Richard

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would ensure the door is 100% aligned properly when installed , I suspect ANY lifting/dropping or the like in normal operation is just shredding the longevity if there was any to be had