Dorman hinge pins are garbage.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the driver's side pins and bushings last week (original 1995). Went to the local GM dealer to get the parts........parts guy typed on his computer for two minutes and then asked if i needed the hinges as well.....NO i says, just the two pins/clips and 4 bushings.......two more minutes typing on computer....... it will take two weeks out of the states........$340......:wtf2:

So i went and bought them from NAPA. Knocked out the old pins and bushings and put the new bushings in. Broke one of the bushings........NAPA had no more........went to another parts store and bought a Dorman set. The tip of the pin where the clip goes looked a little smaller on the DORMAN than the NAPA but i just needed the one bushing out of the Dorman set. Could not seat the new pins in spite of moderately aggressive pounding. After, I checked the old bushings and pins and as someone said before, only the top bushing on the top hinge was ovalled. ALL the other ones fit snug on the pins.......BETTER than the replacements actually. SO, if i was doing this again I would have just replaced the top bushing and used the same pin. lesson learned. failure imminent ......

LAWS of automotive work;

1) first estimate time required for repair and then multiply by 4 minimum.

2) if possible, always begin repair by breaking a plastic clip of some kind.

3) always expect to have to do the job a second time