Trans shop recommends rebuild of my 4L60E. Seeking input.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billy bee

Reaction score
I have 1996 K1500 XCSB (3-door) with 125k miles on it. It's been a great truck, but about a year ago, I got an engine code P1780. Cleared it and it ran fine for 6 months. Now it shows that code occasionally when it is hot and at times does not appear to lock up in O/D. A reputable trans shop in San Luis Obispo, CA confirmed my seat-of-the-pants diagnosis--it does not lock in O/D when hot. He is recommending a complete rebuild for $2400. He said I could get away with replacing a few parts for about $1300, but I would then probably need 3-4 clutches eventually and a few other goodies (sprag and TC) so I might be best to just do a complete overhaul now.

Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks,
Bill

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recognize that prices vary from place to place, but "a few items" for $1300 seems a bit steep. I would think that would include the converter. In these parts, reputable trans shops get $1300 for a full rebuild on a 4L60e, including installation. I would price a couple of other shops and see what the spread is on pricing. If that's the going rate in the area, then so be it. Sounds like he may be doing a Transgo HD2 kit, or equivalent, for the $1300. That should solve the P1870, but he is correct on eventually needing a rebuild. With the 3-4 clutch, it's just a matter of time with a 4L60e.

Be sure to ask for a breakdown on parts and labor on whatever quotes you get, including what their labor rate is. I could see the 2300 if they are getting $100+ per hour. Locally, it's closer to $70 to $80 per hour.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
You could always have someone swap in a known good unit. 2400 for a stock rebuild seems steep to me, and seems like alot of money to spend on one of these trucks. Not that that stops me lol.

billy bee

Reaction score
Wow. Fast replies around here. Thanks!! I have attached a picture of the truck below.

@Jrgunn5150: You nailed my only hesitation, really. It not the price of a rebuild, which he said would include some valuable upgrades over a stock rebuild. But the idea of spending $2400 on a $3000 truck...sheesh. It has low miles, has spent its entire life in the south west, and runs great, save for burning a little oil. And I have this truck all set up with my camper shell. So, it's worth more to me as it serves as a great camper, off-roader, and tow vehicle.

@SAATR: I live in a place where everything is expensive. So, yes, I bet the trans shop is on the high side. I will get a quote and compare prices to a shop in Santa Maria or Paso Robles (both bigger nearby towns) and see what we got.

@Justin S: I could do the R&R myself, but not the rebuild. So, I am at the mercy of a repair shop for that. Although, I guess I could purchase a reman. Anybody known for making good remans?

Thanks for the help.

Bill

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Wow. Fast replies around here. Thanks!!

@Jrgunn5150: You nailed my only hesitation, really. It not the price of a rebuild, which he said would include some valuable upgrades over a stock rebuild. But the idea of spending $2400 on a $3000 truck...sheesh. It has low miles, has spent its entire life in the south west, and runs great, save for burning a little oil. And I have this truck all set up with my camper shell. So, it's worth more to me as it serves as a great camper, off-roader, and tow vehicle.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Think of it like I do, it's cheaper than a truck payment.

As far as who, i can only say who not to, which is Monster Transmissions. They advertise heavily, so their name comes up quick, but I had a horrible experience with them, and I'm not the only one. Jeg's offer's 4l60's now, the TCI I replaced my Monster with was less than 2400.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Mine lost OD like that. I tried a filter and fluid change, a few days later I lost 2nd. $2100 later I basically got a new transmission. Sun shell was broken, coil packs burned up, etc. it was worth it to me because I'm keeping the truck.

Last edited:

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I'd be the same way, I wouldn't trust myself to rebuild it, but have no problem with the actual R&R of the trans. If you want to do all the hard labor yourself and just bring the transmission to a shop to get rebuilt, I bet that would significantly drop your costs, a full rebuild would only be a few hundred bucks.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Fast replies around here. Thanks!! I have attached a picture of the truck below.

@SAATR: I live in a place where everything is expensive. So, yes, I bet the trans shop is on the high side. I will get a quote and compare prices to a shop in Santa Maria or Paso Robles (both bigger nearby towns) and see what we got.

@Justin S: I could do the R&R myself, but not the rebuild. So, I am at the mercy of a repair shop for that. Although, I guess I could purchase a reman. Anybody known for making good remans?

Thanks for the help.

Bill

You must be registered for see images attach

Jasper is fairly well known for a quality reman trans. May be worth a look. I would replace the radiator and replace the existing aux cooler or install one if it isn't already equipped. Upside to a local rebuilder is that they handle everything if something goes south. With a reman, you're on the hook for fluids and the R&R.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 4L60E rebuild cost me around $2600, but it was far from stock. Like others have mentioned, I'd like a breakdown of what internals you're getting for $2400.