4L60E rebuild. What did I get myself into...? :P

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or a local transmission shop. They've probably got a "back room" full of cores to scavenge parts from.
Perhaps, if one will sell/give to him. A few shops will sell parts otc, though he's been ordering stuff on-line so not sure how many options he has when it comes to trans-specific parts locally.

Hbrent

Reaction score
Yea I’m a little limited with my access to these parts… not quite so common down here in New Zealand….. we had numerous GM vehicles here during the 70’s thru to the 90’s, they were Australian made Holdens…. which ran mostly TH300 and 400’s. But those vehicles have all but disappeared from our roads, making way for *** imports and so forth. There is a store here called “All tranz” which is pretty good, it’s where I purchased the overhaul kit and a few other things, but they don’t have everything, i.e. 4th piston.
I have just purchased a whole new servo unit, which looks like includes EVERYTHING, even the cover.

Hbrent

Reaction score
They probably would be able to order it, but that is an item they haven’t got on hand ready to go….. and they wouldn’t be able to get it any cheaper than I could just ordering it myself from Rock Auto.
I have ordered a whole new servo unit via EBay US….. says arrival is Sep 20th, but usually arrives before estimated arrival, already been sent, so hopefully it beats that time by a few weeks.

j 1985 chevy

Reaction score
It looks like I'm in for an adventure.
Having to fork over 3.5k for a shop to replace the transmission was just a bit too expensive
as this is not a showroom piece, its a bush beater and occasionally daily driver.
The other option is to buy a used one for $500-700 of questionable history and life expectancy and put it in myself.
That does not seem like a good choice as it is quite a work to get it in and out of the car.
So, I've pulled it out and looked at it and decided to give a rebuild a try.

I'm hoping for some guidance as I've never done this before. :oops:

There we go...
It looks like the transmission was swapped out sometime as I don't think this is the original.
Is there a way to tell the year just by looking at the case?
You must be registered for see images attach

What is the 33 stands for?

I followed Transmission Bench guide to disassemble it.
I was able to get it disassembled into major components and it looks like there are no major components that are broken gauged etc.
It looks like I should be able to rebuild it whit a rebuild kit.

I've noticed a few things that I would need your opinion...
The input shaft supposed to have a seal that I couldn't find.

Could the missing seal disintegrated and cause the transmission to fail? Where could have it gone?

The output shaft bushing seem to be in very bad condition. Not a big deal as I was planning to do all the bushing regardless.
Video of output shaft.

The other bad thing is that everything is covered in burned clutch material, fluid looks like coffee :oops: , on the upside no metal shavings of any kind that I could see.

This is where I'm right now.
If it was me I would of used a transmission shop to rebuild and put the trans in my self you save a lot of money that way I pad a shop 1300 to rebuild my 4l80e but a 4l60e should be easy too find could go to a junck yard and find a used transmission a bit of gamble though if steal won't to rebuild get a manual and YouTube

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it was me I would of used a transmission shop to rebuild and put the trans in my self you save a lot of money that way I pad a shop 1300 to rebuild my 4l80e but a 4l60e should be easy too find could go to a junck yard and find a used transmission a bit of gamble though if steal won't to rebuild get a manual and YouTube
he did it for a 1/3rd of the price and got a WAY better unit than 99% of shops would have built him. maybe read all 10 pages next time as your opinion means nothing at this stage.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in post #77 I mentioned this tool. It's very handy for getting the transmission seals tucked into place without cutting the lip of the seal.