4L60E rebuild. What did I get myself into...? :P

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hbrent

Reaction score
You're welcome, man. Wow-had no idea the BW sprag would cost so much there, damn! The TCI sprag should be fine.

Here's a transmission pressure gauge. The link is to American Amazon but you should be able to find it or something similar in NZ.
It’s not even really the product itself, it’s the delivery cost with some of your outfits…. Amazon US and Summit offer really reasonable delivery costs. Places like OPT, Remco and Performance Automotive seem to calculate their delivery costs at astronomical/unreasonable prices!
Amazon US and Summit have been great for obtaining parts…. I’ve also got access Amazon Australia, however just doesn’t have the range.
Okay sweet as, that gauge looks good, I’ll see if I can find something similar here, otherwise that price and delivery isn’t too bad.

Hbrent

Reaction score
I wish I had a pic of my seal installer handy. It's basically loops of .035" wire and .025" wire crimped into opposite ends of a 6" piece of copper tubing. I made it when I was in transmission class twenty-seven years ago. It's used to tuck those seals in as you're putting your transmission together.

For the teflon seals, I didn't bother buying the tool. I got a flat piece of plastic soda bottle and some hose clamps. Once you get those teflon seals in place, wrap them with the soda bottle and put a hose clamp over each teflon seal and let it sit for a day or more to shrink them back down. You can then use the soda bottle for installation
I wish I had a pic of my seal installer handy. It's basically loops of .035" wire and .025" wire crimped into opposite ends of a 6" piece of copper tubing. I made it when I was in transmission class twenty-seven years ago. It's used to tuck those seals in as you're putting your transmission together.

For the teflon seals, I didn't bother buying the tool. I got a flat piece of plastic soda bottle and some hose clamps. Once you get those teflon seals in place, wrap them with the soda bottle and put a hose clamp over each teflon seal and let it sit for a day or more to shrink them back down. You can then use the soda bottle for installation.
Sweet, thanks for the tips, think I’ll buy a few more sets of those lip seals and try again.

Hbrent

Reaction score
just assembling the corvette servo that I purchased…. the 4th piston which sits in the cover, was ultra tight on the servo pin, to the point where I had to bang it down the pin….. is that going to be okay? In that it doesn’t need to be free and easy on the pin?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just assembling the corvette servo that I purchased…. the 4th piston which sits in the cover, was ultra tight on the servo pin, to the point where I had to bang it down the pin….. is that going to be okay? In that it doesn’t need to be free and easy on the pin?
You shouldn't had to have hammered it on. Every once in a while ill have one come in where the 4th apply piston's pon bore is out-of-round and thus wont slide back on easy. If it's installed that way, you may slip in fourth due to the piston sticking or aggressively wearing. Inspect it, try to refit it so it slides on easy but otherwise snug. If it's not fitting, grab another piston or pin (or both).

Your air check of the servo assembly once installed into the servo bore should reveal any problems...

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you read the instructions for the Corvette servo pin? Mine was "measure and grind-to-fit".

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you read the instructions for the Corvette servo pin? Mine was "measure and grind-to-fit".
Those instructions refer to the band-facing end of the pin. If the band clearance is insufficient, grind the end until it's within acceptable limits.

His problem concerns the other side of the pin, where it's not allowing the 4th gear apply piston to slide on.

Hbrent

Reaction score
You shouldn't had to have hammered it on. Every once in a while ill have one come in where the 4th apply piston's pon bore is out-of-round and thus wont slide back on easy. If it's installed that way, you may slip in fourth due to the piston sticking or aggressively wearing. Inspect it, try to refit it so it slides on easy but otherwise snug. If it's not fitting, grab another piston or pin (or both).

Your air check of the servo assembly once installed into the servo bore should reveal any problems...

Hbrent

Reaction score
Yea cheers guys, when I purchased the new corvette servo, I skimped and didn’t buy the whole unit, so I had to reuse the old pin and 4th piston.
So it’s kinda weird, cause that piston would have had to have been on that pin previously, but no way it’s going on there nicely now that’s for sure.
I remember when I dismantled the whole servo last week I had to bang crap out of the pin in order to remove to from the old servo, so I wonder if I have damaged the pin? Causing it to balloon or something?
Anyway, I’m going to just buy a whole new corvette servo, and shelve that one.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea cheers guys, when I purchased the new corvette servo, I skimped and didn’t buy the whole unit, so I had to reuse the old pin and 4th piston.
So it’s kinda weird, cause that piston would have had to have been on that pin previously, but no way it’s going on there nicely now that’s for sure.
I remember when I dismantled the whole servo last week I had to bang crap out of the pin in order to remove to from the old servo, so I wonder if I have damaged the pin? Causing it to balloon or something?
Anyway, I’m going to just buy a whole new corvette servo, and shelve that one.
The "corvette" servo only covers 2nd gear and thus only would replace your existing 2nd gear apply servo, unless you buy a kit that includes a new pin.

You would still need a replacement 4th gear apply servo, and after having to beat it onto the rear of the pin, I wouldnt reuse it. eBay or local junk yards should have a 4th gear apply servo piston available.

Last edited: