1995 4L60E rebuild questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi, as the title states, I have the one year only 1995.
It drove fine..4ys ago
A local shop has quoted me $1500ish to rebuild it.
He suggested upgrading the sunshell, reverse sprag and vette servo.

My questions is,
I had previously (3yrs ago) bought the transgo shift improver kit, separator plate, torlon balls and accumator pistons.
Would it be worth it to install those parts into a newly rebuild trans?
or save them for later.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, as the title states, I have the one year only 1995.
It drove fine..4ys ago
A local shop has quoted me $1500ish to rebuild it.
He suggested upgrading the sunshell, reverse sprag and vette servo.

My questions is,
I had previously (3yrs ago) bought the transgo shift improver kit, separator plate, torlon balls and accumator pistons.
Would it be worth it to install those parts into a newly rebuild trans?
or save them for later.
Have those parts installed, the kit contains a TCC PWM valve to convert that stupid pwm to a true "on-off" plus helps improve hydraulics overall. You prob have the SK4L60E which is Transgo's basic kit. A good kit for general correction/improvement. Install the accumulator pistons, separator plate and check balls as well. Id also install a Sonnax LB4L60E boost valve kit to give a bit more line pressure, esp on heavier acceleration. I install them into every 4L60E that I rebuild. Your input sprag is what needs to be replaced - standard Borg Warner 29 element is fine, I do it on all my rebuilds.

The low roller clutch is not usually bad but doesnt hurt to replace it also. Def put a better heat treated sun shell; factory shells break so your builder is correct to replace that part. Ask him about machining the rev input drum for an Alto wide red band and have him install the Corvette 093 second gear servo along with all your other parts mentioned

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have those parts installed, the kit contains a TCC PWM valve to convert that stupid pwm to a true "on-off" plus helps improve hydraulics overall. You prob have the SK4L60E which is Transgo's basic kit. A good kit for general correction/improvement. Install the accumulator pistons, separator plate and check balls as well. Id also install a Sonnax LB4L60E boost valve kit to give a bit more line pressure, esp on heavier acceleration. I install them into every 4L60E that I rebuild. Your input sprag is what needs to be replaced - standard Borg Warner 29 element is fine, I do it on all my rebuilds.

The low roller clutch is not usually bad but doesnt hurt to replace it also. Def put a better heat treated sun shell; factory shells break so your builder is correct to replace that part. Ask him about machining the rev input drum for an Alto wide red band and have him install the Corvette 093 second gear servo along with all your other parts mentioned
Thank you for the in depth reply.

I had a follow up question.
The boost valve kit, from the reading I did, its ment to increase line pressure and firm up the shift.
the vette servo will also firm up the shifts
and the Sk shift kit will additionally firm up the shifts.
I was not planning on drilling the holes larger on the seperator plate.

Would the vette servo, boost valve kit and SK shift kit all working together create an abrupt shift?

I wasent looking for the hard hitting shifts, just a bit better than stock
(vette servo for holding, shift kit for the increase in shift speed)

Thanks again.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the in depth reply.

I had a follow up question.
The boost valve kit, from the reading I did, its ment to increase line pressure and firm up the shift.
the vette servo will also firm up the shifts
and the Sk shift kit will additionally firm up the shifts.
I was not planning on drilling the holes larger on the seperator plate.

Would the vette servo, boost valve kit and SK shift kit all working together create an abrupt shift?

I wasent looking for the hard hitting shifts, just a bit better than stock
(vette servo for holding, shift kit for the increase in shift speed)

Thanks again.
You're welcome, man...Hand all those parts to your transmission builder and let him know exactly how you'd like it to shift and he will take care of it.