700R4 Information Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, man...Most shops are of the opinion that the less they tell the customer, the better for both parties...My approach is different as I want the customer to understand the 'whys behind the transmission failure so I spend some time educating...The tough part about that aspect of the customer-shop interaction is translating very technical, trade-specific language into somewhat layman's terms so folks can understand.

Unfortunately, you can't turn a 700R4 into a 4L80E though with enough billet parts and other mods done, they can be set up to live behind engines making upwards of 650 HP in a street/strip application.

Hard to say - What are your symptoms?
Same thing in the clock repair world. I try to explain how their clock works in simple every day english. Even then I can see their eyes glaze over but hey,I tried.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a long way off from writing any books, there's really no time in the foreseeable future. Plus I don't think a preponderance of the opportunities in the 'How-to' literature is in print; I feel it's all digital/multimedia but if/when time permits, I may seriously take a look at it.
Maybe find someone that could put your vids to paper?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe find someone that could put your vids to paper?
I am that someone - Id never outsource that kind of stuff...leaves too much to chance that it wont be as I'd want it so would have to revise large portions...better off writing it myself...That said,,its def a good idea, perhaps in a few years or so...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a caveman,I like books.
I LOVE books, and have essentially my own lil' library downstairs. Mostly automotive-themed, some electronics (audio/video) some travel, some brain-candy. SWMBO has a bird-focused library of her own.

Having said that, I regret to inform the world that I'm finding "YouTube University" more immediately handy. I friggin' refuse to buy service manuals for vehicles I don't own, but get stuck working on due to friends/family commitments. So YouTube to the rescue. YouTube has taught me more about G-D Ford Focus issues than I really want to admit.

I'm really liking that idea of a bigscreen above the work bench, maybe covered with a nice protective sheet of Plexiglass. And our current "TV" is a flatscreen, but not as huge as I'd like for the main viewing room--but perhaps perfect for the Shop...

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you're cutting metal right in front of it, you don't need a plexiglass screen over it. I've had a 36" flat screen in my shop for several years now, and it's just fine.

I highly recommend the Raspberry Pi 4 keyboard computer. I stream YouTube for music while I'm working. I can also hit up RockAuto without having to trek back into the house. It takes up very little real estate on my tool box top, and I use a trackball mouse to make it even tidier. The downside is that it runs a lean version of Linux, so it won't stream Spotify, and you have to be somewhat Linux competent.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This question is about the 4L60-E and when they got five pinion planetaries and how it pertains to beefing up the 700R4.
I've found several 60-E's that I can purchase for less the one single used planetary and get other parts to build up my 700R4.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This question is about the 4L60-E and when they got five pinion planetaries and how it pertains to beefing up the 700R4.
I've found several 60-E's that I can purchase for less the one single used planetary and get other parts to build up my 700R4.
Make sure you're buying a 2001-2006 4L65E or 2007-2013 4L70E if wanting the 5P planets, not a 4L60E as they have the same 4-pinion planets as the 700R4s.

That said, what's your question?

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you're buying a 2001-2006 4L65E or 2007-20134L70E if wanting the 5P planets, not a 4L60E as they have the same 4-pinion planets as the 700R4s.

That said, what's your question?
That was it. I had the models wrong. What other parts in the 65 and 70's can be used in the 700? Hardened sun shell?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was it. I had the models wrong. What other parts in the 65 and 70's can be used in the 700? Hardened sun shell?
Reaction shaft with bearing - pair that with the Sonnax Smart Shell to rollerize the entire mid-case. 4L60E forward drums (716 last three casting number digits) with the 298mm input shafts will retro to 87+ 700R4s. Center support, forward sprag gear assembly, later four-pinion planets with wider thrust bearings, reverse input drum, 97+ flat tubular steels from the low reverse and reverse input clutches. Rubber/viton seal in the forward drum (always install this instead of the plastic seal in 700r4 overhaul kits). 97+ Bonded steel/rubber pistons and return spring assy for the forward drum (always use these instead of the alum pistons).

No hardened/hest treated sun shells in any production 4L60E variant for any year (one should have been in all of them).

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reaction shaft with bearing - pair that with the Sonnax Smart Shell to rollerize the entire mid-case. 4L60E forward drums (716 last three casting number digits) with the 298mm input shafts will retro to 87+ 700R4s. Center support, forward sprag gear assembly, later four-pinion planets with wider thrust bearings, reverse input drum, 97+ flat tubular steels from the low reverse and reverse input clutches. Rubber/viton seal in the forward drum (always install this instead of the plastic seal in 700r4 overhaul kits). 97+ Bonded steel/rubber pistons and return spring assy for the forward drum (always use these instead of the alum pistons).

No hardened/hest treated sun shells in any production 4L60E variant for any year (one should have been in all of them).
Hey Nick,
Is there any way to tell a 4L65/4L70 without taking it apart?