4l60 woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always something, and it's often a struggle. I just went out for a bit and it acted as though it never had an issue. Please don't think I doubt your advice. I'm sure you've forgotten more than I'll ever know about the magic box. Your video will be a big help when I start looking for a used one.
You're welcome...I'd definitely drop the pan to see what is at the bottom and assess the condition of the fluid before buying another trans or doing any major work (or even drive it a bit more to see if you can duplicate the symptoms and if they are getting worse....There's an outside chance it could be valve body but since you have delayed engagements in both reverse and first gear, it's more than likely your applied elements are stressed/heavily worn. A clogged filter can also be the culprit; which if it's partially clogged could present with delayed engagement issues due to a combination of really thick (cold) fluid and partial restriction in the pick-up. You can cut it open and see what may be inside of it when you do the service.

Odds are it needs a rebuild, but I always like to either obtain diagnostic evidence or have it simply straight-up fail in an unmistakable, unambiguous way before condemning it.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wow! You sir are one of the many reasons I love this forum. I got a lot from your video. Thank you again for your time helping us folks. Clean fluid, good. Kibbles and bits, bad. :). Just found another on marketplace, same model year and style. Aledged 70,000 mile unit. Now I have a lot more info to make the decision.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going with a local rebuilt unit, I figure a warranty would be a good thing. Would it be safe to reuse my torque converter? The dang things acted fine for three 20 mile jaunts now.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lack of dinero. I should have researched first before posting. I wouldn't have asked then.

Last edited:

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Total costs will vary by shop and local market conditions for transmission rebuilding services so can't really give you any thing beyond a very generalized range which, for a carry out build can be anywhere between $1600-$2400 (again, very generalized - it's best to call shops for quotes).

The 98 may work, as the OAL is the same as the 97. Validate it has the same pump and 298mm input shaft as yours (it should if it came from a truck or SUV with a Gen 1 4.3L V6 but check)...Also, if you have a 4WD, you'll need to confirm the extension housing adaptor will bolt up to your T-case. Lastly, check out my video on buying used 4L60Es if you haven't already seen it - I go through a bunch of checks I do on rebuildable cores and include addl steps to take if looking for a trans that is expected to work as is (at least in the short term). Your best bet is to find another 97 unit to minimize fitment/compatibility risk.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Great video