4L60E Information Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New video on buying 4L60Es with a focus on all the changes through the years, how to tell the differences between various versions of separator plate as well as modifying/adapting these transmissions to work in different vintages (i.e. date ranges) of vehicles than originally produced for at the factory.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

PBeam78

Reaction score
And my first post here after lurking awhile. My 1996 C1500 just went out yesterday and I am assuming it is pump failure as no movement in any gear or reverse. It didn't really slip or anything just worked and then stopped. So I am removing today and am forced to rebuild myself and yours and other videos will be my guide. Truck currently has a V6 4.3 and I am LS swapping an 07 5.3L next year (since this year now requires a transmission rebuild).

1. What do I look for in a kit, last trans I had built was a TH350. Used Raysbestos clutches, and everything needed to handle 700+HP. This one I would like crisp shifts and handle an LS with a cam swap (eliminating DOD).
2. I have seen the servo upgrade, I see sunshell listed as mandatory to change. Is there any other parts not in a rebuild kit that I should replace/upgrade?
3. Do the kits give me whats needed to rebuild the front pump? DO I need anything additional there?
4. Where can I order from on a budget? And I saw a previous post of tools I will need that I dont have. I am really trying to knock this out as cheap but efficient as possible. If I had my way I would pay someone else to do it, but my current situation is forcing me to do this myself.

I realize it's alot. This will be my first transmission rebuild after 45 years of life. So your help and videos are greatly appreciated!

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And my first post here after lurking awhile. My 1996 C1500 just went out yesterday and I am assuming it is pump failure as no movement in any gear or reverse. It didn't really slip or anything just worked and then stopped. So I am removing today and am forced to rebuild myself and yours and other videos will be my guide. Truck currently has a V6 4.3 and I am LS swapping an 07 5.3L next year (since this year now requires a transmission rebuild).

1. What do I look for in a kit, last trans I had built was a TH350. Used Raysbestos clutches, and everything needed to handle 700+HP. This one I would like crisp shifts and handle an LS with a cam swap (eliminating DOD).
2. I have seen the servo upgrade, I see sunshell listed as mandatory to change. Is there any other parts not in a rebuild kit that I should replace/upgrade?
3. Do the kits give me whats needed to rebuild the front pump? DO I need anything additional there?
4. Where can I order from on a budget? And I saw a previous post of tools I will need that I dont have. I am really trying to knock this out as cheap but efficient as possible. If I had my way I would pay someone else to do it, but my current situation is forcing me to do this myself.

I realize it's alot. This will be my first transmission rebuild after 45 years of life. So your help and videos are greatly appreciated!
Congrats on the decision to rebuild your first transmission - it's never too late to start...

Since you'll be working on a 4L60E, you won't need to spend a ton of money on specialized tooling as these transmissions only need a few things...I'll film a 700R4 and 4L60E special tools video today or tomorrow and post the link here so you can see everything you will need, how it's used and appx costs/places to acquire.

For rebuild kits, check out the 'Deluxe Kits' eBay - here's an example...They use Alto high energy frictions, come with bushings, bonded pistons, an Alto Power Pack etc (you will need to purchase the updated 1997+ return spring separately). Add a 093 Corvette Servo, Sonnax Smart Shell, Transgo HD2 shift kit OR Sonnax HP1 Performance Pack. Supplement that with Transgo's unbreakable pump rings for the pump body/rotor-slide, all new electrical components (harness, solenoids, pressure switch manifold, VSS) and you should be good.

Machine the pump castings themselves, yours are worn (they all are). Check the interior of the stator for cracks, sealing ring groove wear, etc...

Here's my 4L60E Teardown and Inspection vid, where I cover everything you need to inspect on tear down to ensure you catch everything problematic and either repair or replace.

Purchase the 4L60E / 4L65E ATSG Manual - here's an Amazon link.

Post back once you're ready to get started and/or if you have questions in the meantime.

PBeam78

Reaction score
Thank you so much! So you say machine the pump castings, do I need a shop to do this? I am finishing a 2 hour video now, and have already subbed and will begin yours next (I am already invested in this first one lol). But will be following yours for disassembly/modification/reassembly. Does the kit need to be specific to 1996 is my next question? The electrical components listed, is there a kit for all or is it piece by?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! So you say machine the pump castings, do I need a shop to do this? I am finishing a 2 hour video now, and have already subbed and will begin yours next (I am already invested in this first one lol). But will be following yours for disassembly/modification/reassembly. Does the kit need to be specific to 1996 is my next question? The electrical components listed, is there a kit for all or is it piece by?
Unless you have a lathe and vertical mill, set up for the 4L60E pump bodies, you'll need to take them to a shop. For all of your electrical components, look for Transtar distributors in your general area...Since you're in Tom's River, I would imagine can you can find a transmission parts supply shop either in the Phila or NYC area. You can also order all of it on either eBay or Amazon. Purchase only AC Delco, Delphi or Rostra brand electrical components - everything else is sketchy.

The kit I linked in my post above is what you should buy, unless you can find all that same stuff cheaper...Specify that you need a shallow pan filter when ordering (though 1997 should have the shallow pan, sometimes they will put a deep pan filter in the package by mistake).

Here's my entire 4L60E Playlist - tons of content on everything 4L60E-related: