4l60e no 1st or 4th, ez tcu

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tuffy331

Reaction score
I rebuilt my first 4l60e and installed in a 1994 gmc k1500. It has a 2500 stall converter and using a ez tcu to control it. I have no 1st or 4th. Starts out in second and shifts to third like normal in d or od. Torque converter locks up too. Just no 1st or 4th. I've replaced both shift solenoids. Ez tcu will say it's in low1 when I move the shift lever to 1, but still starts in second. Ez tcu says it in 1st and will normally shift to second then 3rd on the screen, but never was 1st at all, same thing with 4th. Reverse works fine too. I'm interested to see if anyone has experienced this. One thing I'd like to note is I used a good amount of the green goo on the checkballs when installing the valve body. Not sure if there's a specific checkball that's controls both 1st and 4th... maybe to much there? Also has transgo hd2 I'm gonna clean up the valve body from old the old 4l60e and swap everything over with a new transgo kit and hope it works. Maybe it's the ez tcu, or something very simple, I don't want to swap the valve body as I paid for a supposedly working valve body online.
Thanks

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Limp mode is 3rd only, not 2-3.
Not on a 60e. 2-3 is a mechanical shift in that it doesn't require power. 1-2 and 3-4 require power. I was informed of this when the 60e in my cateye blew the transmission fuse. I called TransDapt looking for a sbc/LS input shaft adapter and when I described my symptoms (only 2-3 and R) the dude on the phone told me to check the fuse. It was blown (I'd used it to piggyback the power for my helper bag compressor) and as soon as I replaced it it was back to normal functionality. I'm forever grateful for his help.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not on a 60e. 2-3 is a mechanical shift in that it doesn't require power. 1-2 and 3-4 require power. I was informed of this when the 60e in my cateye blew the transmission fuse. I called TransDapt looking for a sbc/LS input shaft adapter and when I described my symptoms (only 2-3 and R) the dude on the phone told me to check the fuse. It was blown (I'd used it to piggyback the power for my helper bag compressor) and as soon as I replaced it it was back to normal functionality. I'm forever grateful for his help.

Weird. I've experienced limp mode in a 60 and it was 3rd only. On an 80 it's 2nd only.

tuffy331

Reaction score
I don't think it's in limp mode, ez tcu wont turn on without a good fuse and torque converter locks up in d. Just no 1st or 4th. But I could be wrong

Last edited: