No 3rd and possibly 4th gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTMiller13

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm back again... with transmission troubles, hoping someone can let me pick their brain...

Recently picked up a 1990 GM 1500, 2 wheel drive 350 paired auto 700r4. The truck is immaculate as opposed to a few details. One being shifting, 1st and second gear seem to shift without issue but once third gear hits it's like neutral, not sure if it tries to shift past into 4th and it's gone aswell but there is no power in third

An experienced mechanic in my area told me it may be the forward drum... that needs to be replaced.
In search of answers.
Cheers!

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm back again... with transmission troubles, hoping someone can let me pick their brain...

Recently picked up a 1990 GM 1500, 2 wheel drive 350 paired auto 700r4. The truck is immaculate as opposed to a few details. One being shifting, 1st and second gear seem to shift without issue but once third gear hits it's like neutral, not sure if it tries to shift past into 4th and it's gone aswell but there is no power in third

An experienced mechanic in my area told me it may be the forward drum... that needs to be replaced.
In search of answers.
Cheers!
Is this the same truck and 700R4 transmission you asked about in your other thread?

If so, did you already swap that other unit into the vehicle and it's also bad or is this trans the original transmission?

Either way, your 3-4 clutch pack is shot so the trans needs to come out and be overhauled or replaced.

When you go back with it, install a brand new throttle valve cable. As cables age, they wear and can lose their ability to hold adjustment or even snap while you're driving, in some cases.

JTMiller13

Reaction score
Is this the same truck and 700R4 transmission you asked about in your other thread?

If so, did you already swap that other unit into the vehicle and it's also bad or is this trans the original transmission?

Either way, your 3-4 clutch pack is shot so the trans needs to come out and be overhauled or replaced.

When you go back with it, install a brand new throttle valve cable. As cables age, they wear and can lose their ability to hold adjustment or even snap while you're driving, in some cases.
Different truck different trans but still original to truck.
It seems I just attract transmission problems

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different truck different trans but still original to truck.
It seems I just attract transmission problems
Oh, ok...I'd just completely rebuild it so you know it will last for a long time. Same with the transmission in the other truck. That's how you eliminate transmission problems from your life.

Last edited:

JTMiller13

Reaction score
Sorry, not sure if you're being sincere or sarcastic - nature of the internet, I suppose...Do you have any specific questions about the rebuild process?
No I dont mean to come off as sarcastic at all. I'm sorry if you mistook that. You confirmed my question of what is wrong and I just didnt want to go in blind. I find your comments greatly helpful and your answer's straight forward and I do enjoy the videos you post aswell, all very informative but I had a suspicion it could be the 3/4 clutches and I appreciate you confirming

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I dont mean to come off as sarcastic at all. I'm sorry if you mistook that. You confirmed my question of what is wrong and I just didnt want to go in blind. I find your comments greatly helpful and your answer's straight forward and I do enjoy the videos you post aswell, all very informative but I had a suspicion it could be the 3/4 clutches and I appreciate you confirming
Didnt mistake it, just wasn't sure one way or a other so thank you for clarifying and for the kind words. Let me know if you have any more questions or need additional help.