4l60e no 1st or 4th, ez tcu

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what was the part # for the internal harness you replaced?

unless you have the wrong separator plate and/or gaskets using a pwm pump and 96+ valve body should work in your 94 case. I don't believe you can use a pwm pump with a non-pwm valve body. this sounds like an electrical issue to me

EDIT: did you use manual valve out of the 94 or 96 valve body?
I also think it's electrical and said as much in my first post in this thread but we will see what he comes up with once he's gone through all the trouble shooting on the electrical/electronics side of things...

@tuffy331 - Manual valve differences (93-94 on the left)

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's the one I'm gonna clean up and reuse if I can't figure it out, when I opened the pan to drain the oil it looked like a 96+ valve body, if it weren't a pwm style valve body could I still use it with the pwm pump and separator plate?
look at the year casting on the vb. Here's a 97 valve body for ref.

You can try to run it with the 96 plate but you may or may not have issues with the pwm unless you tuned it out, which would be a good idea...otherwise go to your hard part supplier or junk yard and grab a good used vb for cheap.
You must be registered for see images attach

tuffy331

Reaction score
look at the year casting on the vb. Here's a 97 valve body for ref.

You can try to run it with the 96 plate but you may or may not have issues with the pwm unless you tuned it out, which would be a good idea...otherwise go to your hard part supplier or junk yard and grab a good used vb for cheap.

Sweet thank you, I might give it a try, I did watch one guy on YouTube put 2 checkballs between the pwm spring to supposedly make into a on/off switch, but that was awhile back. Anyways, got to work on it today and noticed the pump stop picking up oil on dipstick from idle, and dipstick slightly wants to pop out when running. I will do a line pressure test to confirm as I still have reverse and all the same gears... but I think the pump is either going out or I knocked the filter loose when changing solenoids, will give it look when I have more time.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sweet thank you, I might give it a try, I did watch one guy on YouTube put 2 checkballs between the pwm spring to supposedly make into a on/off switch, but that was awhile back. Anyways, got to work on it today and noticed the pump stop picking up oil on dipstick from idle, and dipstick slightly wants to pop out when running. I will do a line pressure test to confirm as I still have reverse and all the same gears... but I think the pump is either going out or I knocked the filter loose when changing solenoids, will give it look when I have more time.

I seem to recall flipping PWM valve guts around to pin them in a position that made it an on/off switch as well. Worked great and got rid of the shudder and slippage code.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wont hurt the trans by doing the 1994 vb swap; it just may feel a little weird shifting. The 96-06 spacer plates are diff from the 93-94 plates in only two areas (same for the most part with the 95 plate), neither of which are all that pertinent to your issue. The vb to plate and plate
To case gaskets are the same from 93-2000.

The two check ball method involves using two .187 check balls, one in each valve and the stock spring to stop each valve from moving. You can also use a super long spring and the outboard valve to do the same, which is converting the pwm to a mechanical tcc on/off apply. My 4L60E valve body performance tips video also covers that particular mod.

tuffy331

Reaction score
You wont hurt the trans by doing the 1994 vb swap; it just may feel a little weird shifting. The 96-06 spacer plates are diff from the 93-94 plates in only two areas (same for the most part with the 95 plate), neither of which are all that pertinent to your issue. The vb to plate and plate
To case gaskets are the same from 93-2000.

The two check ball method involves using two .187 check balls, one in each valve and the stock spring to stop each valve from moving. You can also use a super long spring and the outboard valve to do the same, which is converting the pwm to a mechanical tcc on/off apply. My 4L60E valve body performance tips video also covers that particular mod.
Do you think a pump could cause no 1st or 4th? Im pretty confident I didn't knock the filter loose and am ready to pull the trans at this point. I will probably still swap the valve body and maybe rebuild the pump in the old unit. Transmission only has about 50 miles, you think I could get away with reusing the torque converter? I will try to do a line pressure test to be 100% sure but I have to wait to get one. Not sure if I can wait that long...

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I seem to recall flipping PWM valve guts around to pin them in a position that made it an on/off switch as well. Worked great and got rid of the shudder and slippage code.
on the valve bodies with the later pwm TCC valve line up (late 96 and up) you flip the inner valve and assemble the rest normally.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you think a pump could cause no 1st or 4th? Im pretty confident I didn't knock the filter loose and am ready to pull the trans at this point. I will probably still swap the valve body and maybe rebuild the pump in the old unit. Transmission only has about 50 miles, you think I could get away with reusing the torque converter? I will try to do a line pressure test to be 100% sure but I have to wait to get one. Not sure if I can wait that long...
if your pump wasnt working it wouldn't move or would slip.... you have an electrical problem here.

tuffy331

Reaction score
if your pump wasnt working it wouldn't move or would slip.... you have an electrical problem here.
On the last trans when I first got the tcu hooked up I got it to move but it wasn't consistent. Would sometimes go into reverse or drive but most of time not, eventually just wouldn't go into gear at all, kept pushing the dipstick out, and trans fluid never moved while idling, basically same symptoms I'm having rn just hasn't gotten to part where it doesn't move