What should I get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcain226

Reaction score
Hello everyone-

I am looking to get a 90’s extended cab to use as my daily driver; I will be towing a 20’ ski boat, as well as the occasional utility/uhaul trailer.

What year/engine/transmission combo should I look for?

What should I stay away from?

Thanks in advance.

PWC Repair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any of them in the "90's" range will be fine. You're talking about towing light not a 7000 pound camper. Look for something clean, well maintained, original and spend the money there, or find something with rebuilt mechanicals and spend money fixing the cosmetics. The TBI 305 will get better fuel economy, but towing around in the hills will be a bit slower going than the 350. Any way you look at it they're 30 years old so keep that in mind.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4L80 and 8 lug axles will yield the strongest drive train and likely the best, or close, brakes. A 2wd truck will be better for you if you do not have snow or do serious off-roading. Also, cheaper to maintain, can haul more, better turning radius & ride, etc.

These trucks are demanding quite a pretty penny these days and any you find will likely need work. I am 15k+ in maintenance since I bought my dually 1.5 years ago so keep that in mind. If I wasn't a contractor there is no way I would have been able to afford fixing this thing.

The tbi motors are gutless gas hogs but the fueling system is literally a fuel injected 2 bbl carb so super simple. The vortecs simply are superior in every other way other than a tendency for cracked heads.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
X2 ... a 20ft ski boat isnt a large load for any of these trucks. a TBI 4.3 wouldnt be too happy but its still plenty capable of towing that. Look for overall condition and price over what powerplant it has. That said, a Vortec 350 w/4l80 8-lug SRW is prob the best of all worlds unless your going to haul more than the boat then step up to a Vortec 454 and dually. 2wd vs 4wd up to you.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was towing my 18' ski-boat with an '88 K1500 5.7L regular cab, with JB3 brakes and 3.42 gears. In overdrive, mostly. Probably should have dropped to "D". (The trailer did have surge brakes.)

Extended-cab trucks got better brakes than what mine started-out with.

"Daily driver" leads more towards 1500 than 8-lug. But the added reliability of the 4L80E over the '700 or 4L60/60E is undeniable.

Y' pays your money and Y' takes your choice.