What 14bolt axle should I look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These axles are from trucks and I now know they have slide on drums. Not sure if they are 4WD or 2WD. My guess would be 2WD axles. What is different between the two?
As said--the width is different. You'd want a 2WD donor vehicle if yours is 2WD, and a 4WD donor if yours is 4WD. If they came out of a Suburban, they'll have mounts for the rear sway bar a pickup doesn't use. Doesn't hurt, just not useful.

Seller claims they both have G80 gov locks. Thanks to you I can now verify that, if I can make a deal with this guy. He has refused my $400 offer.
Not sure if I want to go any higher, the high mileage one looks like it came of the titanic...
I paid $350 or close to that, and drove 700 miles round-trip for the axle under my K1500, which needed brake work, an axle shaft, and had rusty/eroded axle tubes where the U-bolts fit around them. It did have G80, but it appears to be kinda worn.

I paid another $350 for a "spare" 9.5" axle, open differential, badly-spalled teeth on the spider and side gears. Wrong gear ratio for my truck, too. But it had good axle shafts, so I robbed one and crammed it under my '1500.

All of this was BEFORE Bideninflation.

$400 for two, in Sweden, with G80 is really too good to hope for. But first, make sure they're the right width. And pop the covers, to inspect the ring, pinion, spider and side gears. Bring a tube of RTV Silicone so you can seal 'em back up if they're not suitable.

Last edited:

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, it seems like I might have been lowbiding the guy a bit...
And it turns out they are both 4x4 Axles.
Here is the crusty high mileage one...
You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: Rang the guy up. He's throwing in a set of Brand new brake drums with new brake shoes, plus a couple of ugly spare wheels(our Truck does not have one at the moment)

Could not argue with his price after that so I bought them both for what he was asking.

Thanks again @Schurkey for making me see the error of my ways ;)

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugly, leaky, Crusty... and mine now...:eek:

WOW! No No, its not a plywood spacer it is...eeeh "aluminum" , well most of it is, anyway :)
Is the one with the wheel spacers the same width as the other one? WMS to WMS?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, was just wondering if spacer was on because it was for a 2wd and narrower. There’s another thread where a member installed a 9.5 SF and it seems it was a 2wd and too narrow. Nice score!