Should I swap a 383?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
99 crew cab 2500 5.7.
What transmission? What gears? What tire size?

I’m not happy with trucks performance now. I can’t pull an even semi heavy load up a hill past 2000 rpm and it just sucks to tow with in general.
Define "semi heavy load". What is your truck rated to pull, vs. the load you're actually towing?

First Guess: There's something WRONG. You cram in a 383 without fixing what's wrong, and you're going to have a bigger, more-expensive engine with no more power than you have now.

What is your fuel pressure at prime and under load?

Connect a scan tool, verify every sensor and computer output. Check fuel trims. Check misfire counts per cylinder. Assure that the electronic spark advance is actually working, as is the EGR.

Mbosse

Reaction score
What transmission? What gears? What tire size?

Define "semi heavy load". What is your truck rated to pull, vs. the load you're actually towing?

First Guess: There's something WRONG. You cram in a 383 without fixing what's wrong, and you're going to have a bigger, more-expensive engine with no more power than you have now.

What is your fuel pressure at prime and under load?

Connect a scan tool, verify every sensor and computer output. Check fuel trims. Check misfire counts per cylinder. Assure that the electronic spark advance is actually working, as is the EGR.
Sounds good tuning is definitely the next step, just thought if a 383 was gonna be better I would start the process with it instead of doing it twice. I’m trying to pull cattle in a stock trailer and other loads 20k max

Mbosse

Reaction score
Sounds good tuning is definitely the next step, just thought if a 383 was gonna be better I would start the process with it instead of doing it twice. I’m trying to pull cattle in a stock trailer and other loads 20k max
Not sure on rear end, 4l80 and 32’s I think

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 20K stock trailer behind a 3/4-ton truck is your idea of a semi-heavy load? What do you consider a full-on "bigass load"?

What is your truck rated to pull, vs. the load you're actually towing?
WHAT IS YOUR TRUCK RATED TO PULL? You get into a "situation" where the cops are involved, and they find out you're overloaded, there will be questions to answer, and paperwork to fill out. If someone gets injured...you're in deep doo-doo.

Forget the 383. Sell the truck, buy a tonner dually with an 8.1L or a Duramax; and an Allison. I favor the 8.1, based on my ability to service the thing. I have essentially zero experience with Diesels although I could learn if I had to.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, legal stuff aside, since we now know your definition of "semi-heavy loads", we should be discussing the size of turbo you need, and the avalability of big blocks in your area.
I've hooked to 18k loads with my 3/4 ton dodge that put 650hp to the wheels, and while I had no problem holding speed on any hills, it was no picnic for the cummins. Ain't no way I'd try to hold up traffic with a n/a 350 hooked to such a load. No amount of tuning will get the 350 to tow that sensibly.
I would definitely recommend a heavier truck with more power. The 8.1 or duramax, sure. They both pull well. Boost the 8.1, it's the thing miles of smiles are made of!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind, that pulling 20K around on your property with whatever you want to pull it with is legal and a 350 will move such a load around at low speeds in the lower gears just fine if it is running correctly. Second that trailer goes through the gate on to a public road, need a bigger truck.

One summer I worked for a great uncle and drove his C60 that had a factory 327, 4spd and 2 speed rear end. Small blocks pull them around because the trucks were engineered to work. To get to 20 mph involves shifting 4 times. Gearing overcomes the low torque output of the 327.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Simple solution to your problem, without spending as much and getting alot more durability would be a 6.0 with a truck spec / towing cam. It'll last a lot longer than the Gen 1 SBC would.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Simple solution to your problem, without spending as much and getting alot more durability would be a 6.0 with a truck spec / towing cam. It'll last a lot longer than the Gen 1 SBC would.
No it won't. Near equal durability between the engines. The 6.0Ls have a nasty habit of shedding their cam bearings. The 8.1L is a heck of a lot better engine though. Then again I would upgrade to the whole 8.1L/Allison powered dually or better yet Kodiak C5500/6500 the 8.1L is sitting in to tow that kind of weight.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
No it won't. Near equal durability between the engines. The 6.0Ls have a nasty habit of shedding their cam bearings. The 8.1L is a heck of a lot better engine though. Then again I would upgrade to the whole 8.1L/Allison powered dually or better yet Kodiak C5500/6500 the 8.1L is sitting in to tow that kind of weight.
Okay, you're talking maintenance versus longevity.

Properly maintained 6.0 has no issues.

Why do I have a 285k mile stock 6.0 and 4L80E in my 03?

How about the STOCK cam bearing, 7500rpm 6.0 that was in my shortbed, then my Chevelle. It had 179k on it when I checked it out in 2019.