I’ve been offered a 6.5 swapped 88k 2500 for a cheap price, should I buy it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tparkridge

Reaction score
I’ve been offered to buy a 6.5 swapped 88 k2500 by my diesel mechanics teacher, he told me there isn’t much wrong with it, it’s got an oil leak he can’t find and one of the starter bolts has broken, besides that it’s just general old trick things that aren’t an issue, he told me he doesn’t have the time to deal with it, he ran it the other day and everything was fine, he said it could be driven home just bring some oil. Should I look into getting that truck?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on what "cheap" means, once you dig into these 6.5 trucks things can get expensive quickly. Do you know what year the engine came from? There were some changes over the years, some are pretty important.

The starter bolt may be broken due to the brace missing from the starter, but I'd be leery of a cracked starter mounting hole or mounting pad on the block.

He's a diesel mechanics teacher but can't find the oil leak? Without more info there's no telling where it could possibly be coming from.

These engines have their fans, but less of those than people that have sworn off them forever. You'll probably soon hear from both camps here..

Richard

Tparkridge

Reaction score
Depends on what "cheap" means, once you dig into these 6.5 trucks things can get expensive quickly. Do you know what year the engine came from? There were some changes over the years, some are pretty important.

The starter bolt may be broken due to the brace missing from the starter, but I'd be leery of a cracked starter mounting hole or mounting pad on the block.

He's a diesel mechanics teacher but can't find the oil leak? Without more info there's no telling where it could possibly be coming from.

These engines have their fans, but less of those than people that have sworn off them forever. You'll probably soon hear from both camps here..

Richard
It’s a 94 model engine, it’s not that he can’t find the leak he’s just not put in the time to find where it is since it’s not his main vehicle and yes I know leaks can be dangerous but he said it’s not a big leak as it will take a while for it leak out a lot. I’ve did some research and I know I’m going to receive some fire about the 6.5

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only thing that would bother me is the broken starter bolt hole. They can be repaired but most of the time that requires the engine to come out. Leroy Diesel has a kit that does away with the block mounting and moves it to a plate that is sandwiched between the trans and engine. Other then the broken bolt hole if the truck is a reasonable price and in good shape it might be worth it. I say this as I'm working on bringing another 6.5 home. Probably going to be this week end.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve been offered to buy a 6.5 swapped 88 k2500 by my diesel mechanics teacher, he told me there isn’t much wrong with it, it’s got an oil leak he can’t find and one of the starter bolts has broken, besides that it’s just general old trick things that aren’t an issue, he told me he doesn’t have the time to deal with it, he ran it the other day and everything was fine, he said it could be driven home just bring some oil. Should I look into getting that truck?
Perhaps you can pay a midget stripper to stomp on your nuts with her high heels while calling you her b!+ch. You'll get more satisfaction, your money will still be wasted but you'll have less nightmares.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing Skylark ain't a fan. Me personally wouldn't have a diesel shoved up my @@@ sideways if I had room for the USS Missouri. Don't know why anyone would want to listen to those rattling clanging bass turds. Plus pay that much extra for fuel.