MAF - Parts Cannon Story - Paying it Forward

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBS_Trash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, well ****. Look at this

So could be a few things that happened.

Either the shop installed a faulty MAF or, They didn’t replace like they stated. Maybe the tech forgot or I don’t know. The one that was in looked dated.
I am going to discuss this with the owner.

She drives great again. And now has everything new, I mean look at that tune up I did in relation to air/fuel/spark. I have a new distributor on the shelf for later when I’m bored I guess lol. I hope someone learns from reading this post. I leaned quite a bit, thanks for all the help to this group GMT400. Digging through so many post and posted a few of my own during this quest I learned some electrical troubleshooting skills, got some new toys, service manual and scantool now.

Silver Linings y’all.

Attachments

• IMG_2079.jpeg
    IMG_2079.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2080.jpeg
    IMG_2080.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2081.jpeg
    IMG_2081.jpeg
    548.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2082.jpeg
    IMG_2082.jpeg
    393.7 KB · Views: 13

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, well ****. Look at this

So could be a few things that happened.

Either the shop installed a faulty MAF or, They didn’t replace like they stated. Maybe the tech forgot or I don’t know. The one that was in looked dated.
I am going to discuss this with the owner.

She drives great again. And now has everything new, I mean look at that tune up I did in relation to air/fuel/spark. I have a new distributor on the shelf for later when I’m bored I guess lol. I hope someone learns from reading this post. I leaned quite a bit, thanks for all the help to this group GMT400. Digging through so many post and posted a few of my own during this quest I learned some electrical troubleshooting skills, got some new toys, service manual and scantool now.

Silver Linings y’all.
Gonna file that one under "suspect prior work" - can't assume just because a shop claimed they did something, that they actually did it, or did it correctly. Not even assuming any malice or shadiness on their part, just that it got overlooked for whatever reason.

The MAF gets mentioned so often in the post I may have lost track. Is it possible this is your original MAF sensor from when you purchased the truck? I see you bought one and returned it, then the shop supposedly replaced it, too. Looks like it's been a problem all along but there were other contributing factors that a simple MAF replacement didn't solve, so you needed to go down the path and figure out whatever that issue was, as well - possibly the wiring?

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@movietvet - Yes, I still plan too. Need the tools for that. I am trying to take good care of her since she does have 330,000 miles. Man these engines can run.
You can likely rent a compression tester at a parts store. Make sure all plugs are out when doing the testing. Write all results down for each cylinder and post here, please. If have not done before, watch a few you tube videos. pay attention to the dry test and wet test.

OBS_Trash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I thought she was fixed but no. On the way to work this morning as i started holding 60ish MPH, she starts backfiring again (Original issue before the first part ERG was replaced). I pulled over and unplugged the MAF and got back on the Highway. No Popping, no backfires. @someotherguy , The wiring previously checked out, 5V, 12V and good ground. I did buy new grounding straps (Not on yet) before as a possible issue i saw others have. Mine are dated, but none was tore, so maybe its an intermittent grounding issue? I'm not elektrikally inclined.

When i get home i will throw the scan tool back on to see if any new codes are there. But the beat goes on around this backfire issue only when MAF is plugged up.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
wiring previously checked out, 5V, 12V and good ground
Did you replace the connector that was lose at the MAF? Possible intermittent connection while it's plugged in causing issues. I'd expect to be able to see that in the datastream if your scantool is capable of it.

Expect to have a MAF code with it unplugged of course.

OBS_Trash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
@termite Havent yet, i replaced the one on the CrankShaft position just due to wear and tear. Easy and costless ill do the same here im sure. Thanks for mentioning it will have a MAF Code, I'm so blindly eager to get to the scanner, I'm sure i would have forgotten to clear it first, drive it let it cycle again to get any new real codes (Me: Slow down, and Breath. Stop rushing)

I'm about to install a "Kill Switch" on The MAF so i cant start it with MAF online, then hit the switch to swap the variable :rolleyes:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
@termite Havent yet, i replaced the one on the CrankShaft position just due to wear and tear. Easy and costless ill do the same here im sure. Thanks for mentioning it will have a MAF Code, I'm so blindly eager to get to the scanner, I'm sure i would have forgotten to clear it first, drive it let it cycle again to get any new real codes (Me: Slow down, and Breath. Stop rushing)

I'm about to install a "Kill Switch" on The MAF so i cant start it with MAF online, then hit the switch to swap the variable :rolleyes:
Pull the existing codes and write them down before clearing for reference.