Need help maf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laraalan

Reaction score
Hello i bought a 97 gmc sierra a couple months back ran fine for about 4 months then started to fail on me when im at a stop and proceed to accelerate the rpms go down for about 2 seconds like if it wants to stall then runs fine for the most part took it to the guy who rebuilt my trabsmission cause i didnt know where to go and i was in the area he scanned and showed me that it was giving a code for the maf sensor we checked under the hood and realized it was unplugged plugged it in and ran good for about 30 miles then started messing up again i called him and he said to go to autozone to buy a maf sensor and to replace it so i did i unplugged battery before changing it and left it unplugged for about 30 min them hooked it up again ran fine for a month accelerated smoothly and suddenly it started messing up again wouldnt go over 20 mph i changed the maf sensor a second time and it ran fine for 2 weeks then same thing anyone know what could be the problem thanks

Cowboysteve91

Reaction score
You might be pushing to many volts to the sensor you could have a bad ground going to the maf it could be getting dirty so I'd check your air filter especially if you take alot of gravel but I'd inspect the wires and use a multi meter to test voltage it should have a 5 volts going to it if I remember correctly but don't quote me on that

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A silly question but what kind of air filter do you have ? And did you replace that also? I had a cheap oil filter by spectre and it would oil my maf pretty bad swapped it out for oem and it's fine after I cleaned the maf. You can test if the mafs bad by idling your truck and pull the plug if it's still running or it stumbles will tell you if the mafs good or not . Sometimes you get bad mafs but twice seems peculiar.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...Sometimes you get bad mafs but twice seems peculiar.

Could be cheapies? Did he say what they were? I bought a "refurbished" Cardone MAF for my Volvo 850 because of the price and it was junk. They used the OEM Bosch housing and improperly screwed a new sensor in it. I say improperly, because they stripped the plastic out of the housing. It read way high on my scanner. Thankfully my OEM MAF wasn't bad, so I just re-installed it.