Swap OEM GM composite headlight bracket to aftermarket housings/ Lenses? Can it be done ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EDIT : 4-14-24
Dead thread !!
Objective Failed !!

I just picked up a new set of offbrand headlights Not junk junk lol but most are what they are … Mine need replaced badly long ago.. I should have done this already …

So I know No matter what kind you get unless you get OEM all the brackets are wobbly. IMHO the culprit is in the adjuster screw from the lense to the housings .. the socket the bolt sits in is loose plastic …
I’ve never seen anything different in the 10 to 15 sets I’ve bought for all my trucks over the years. Some worse than others …
Unless you buy standard OEM quality lenses then you might get an original bracket that is almost as good as the originals.
So I was considering trying to swap my factory Chevy 95-98 headlights brackets over to these new anzo chrome / black headlights I got Today .
Has anyone retro fit the good brackets that don’t wobble and are pretty much pre- adjusted for people light alignment. Is there a process to do it?

If it’s not been done It'll be a worthy mod’ and I’ll figure it out and post back my results if it can be done.

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. I swapped my spyders over without issue. It’s a common recommendation to swap the brackets-as you’ve noticed the aftermarket adjusters are junk.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the same with some Spyder’s. Although I’m not using them.
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, this is a common thing and will work fine in most cases. The Anzo 111004s in my '97s right now are on the OEM brackets that came on the trucks.

One thing to note though, you're still going to need to check the adjustment after installation. Tiny manufacturing differences can make different housings sit in different positions on the adjusters. Don't assume that just because they fit they'll be pointed at the same spot the old housings were.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s easy to snap in the new lights…it’s removing them, I found, more difficult. So, I just cut these to remove, if not saving old lights.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My Anzos dropped right onto the factory brackets with no modifications. I just removed the two mounting pins, pulled the OEM housings off the brackets and installed the Anzos. I didn't have to cut or remove anything else.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Anzos dropped right onto the factory brackets with no modifications. I just removed the two mounting pins, pulled the OEM housings off the brackets and installed the Anzos. I didn't have to cut or remove anything else.
I didn’t cut anything either. I just meant to remove old lights, I cut the old plastic nuts to remove from bracket. Spyder’s dropped right in too.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think I see where my confusion is coming from... I kept the adjusters that were on my Anzos in place and am currently using them. I'm just using the OEM bracket that bolts to the core support, not the one that stays attached to the housings when you remove them.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think I see where my confusion is coming from... I kept the adjusters that were on my Anzos in place and am currently using them. I'm just using the OEM bracket that bolts to the core support, not the one that stays attached to the housings when you remove them.
Several weak points on many aftermarket headlamps. The adjusters suck, the locator dowels often need to be knocked off so you can square the headlights in the grille opening instead of having them look droopy, and the plastic in both halves of the bracket assembly is usually flimsy and floppy.

The only way I see around all three is to do what @Caman96 did and use literally just the aftermarket lens/reflector housing assembly and transplant it onto OEM brackets/adjusters/etc. And yeah, trying to depress all 4 sides of a square snap-in adjuster reminds me of Tom Anderson talking about feeling like a 1-legged cat trying to bury turds on a frozen pond.

Richard