Blueprint 383 crate motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebel04343

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Got a 00' k2500 ccsb 5.7L with 190000 miles on it. Ran ok but recently started stumbling on idle when in gear. Always wanted a little more balls out of this thing. Head gasket on passenger side is blown. That would explain my stumble. SOOOO the question is do I slap a head gasket on it. OR get a new blueprint 383 that's a drop in, do a 411 swap and get it tuned. The 4L80e shifts great and never had any issues so I'm not to worried about that. Anyone ever had any experience doing the blueprint 383? Don't have the timeframe to go through a machine shop (one that I trust the one I do trust is almost 2 years out ) around me to build my own 383. Looking for some thoughts. The tuner around me told me they cannot tune the old black box so the 411 seems to make sense to me and looks rather simple just time and attention and has been beat to death on here.

Tan1998K2500

Reaction score

As an alternative, Chevy does actually make a direct replacement 383 for the L31.

But, depending on how long the head gasket has been blown, it might be a better idea to swap head gaskets and keep running that engine since it doesn't have too many miles on it. But if it's been blown for awhile, then it might make sense to do an engine swap. I'd also ask yourself if you are in a place to drop 6-8k on an engine swap, maybe a little more for anything else that may need to be replaced along the way. And with the 411 swap, definitely take your time swapping pins to make sure everything is in the correct spot the first time to save yourself the headaches later. Otherwise, it is an easy swap to do and might not even be a bad idea if you don't end up swapping engines

rebel04343

Reaction score

As an alternative, Chevy does actually make a direct replacement 383 for the L31.

But, depending on how long the head gasket has been blown, it might be a better idea to swap head gaskets and keep running that engine since it doesn't have too many miles on it. But if it's been blown for awhile, then it might make sense to do an engine swap. I'd also ask yourself if you are in a place to drop 6-8k on an engine swap, maybe a little more for anything else that may need to be replaced along the way. And with the 411 swap, definitely take your time swapping pins to make sure everything is in the correct spot the first time to save yourself the headaches later. Otherwise, it is an easy swap to do and might not even be a bad idea if you don't end up swapping engines
Good point about just getting a new head probably both sides while im at it. Really need to take the upper apart anyways either way and replacement cast iron heads from summit like stock are relatively cheap compared to a crate.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plan on getting one when the time comes to replace the Exxon Valdez motor in the Tahoe.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the question is do I slap a head gasket on it.
I'd guess that most of the Vortec heads in existence now are cracked.

Have you pulled the head and checked it for cracks? If you're doing one head, I'd do both. They both need to be disassembled and magnafluxed. Tear the heads down yourself, clean them, and use a magnifying glass to examine the area between the spark plug boss and valves. If they pass, take them to the machine shop and have them magnafluxed. They should be able to turn them around in a day or two.

rebel04343

Reaction score
I'd guess that most of the Vortec heads in existence now are cracked.

Have you pulled the head and checked it for cracks? If you're doing one head, I'd do both. They both need to be disassembled and magnafluxed. Tear the heads down yourself, clean them, and use a magnifying glass to examine the area between the spark plug boss and valves. If they pass, take them to the machine shop and have them magnafluxed. They should be able to turn them around in a day or two.
I did talk to my machine shop guy and he said he would magnaflux them whenever i show up if they are clean so we can find out. I haven't done anything with the truck just yet, Still farting around with ideas.