BluePrint L31 Crate 350 (G3509602)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am planning to upgrade my 97 GMC Z71 from a 305 to a 350.

I am curious what others have experienced with the BluePrint’s part number G3509602 L31 350 crate (https://blueprintengines.com/collec...block-for-factory-efi-iron-heads-roller-cam-2)

The other option is the GM L31 replacement part number 12691673 (https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19432780.html).

I believe the GM L31 crate is now machined and assembled in the US. However, I cannot find any solid reviews aside from the older part number 12530282, which I believe was machined/assembled in Mexico and had reports of excessive oil consumption.

Those reports have pushed me to the side of the BluePrint but would like to know what others have experienced with BluePrint’s L31 replacement before making the purchase and spending a weekend doing the swap.

Thanks to all in advance.
Choice? No doubt about it ... get the GM replacement L31.
Yes they are assembled in Springfield MO USA by long-time GM partner SRC.
There's a fellow on here (Laredo) who has a very nice current thread where he meticulously restores a pickup and replaces the OE L31 with the above L31. In his lengthy thread there are good photos showing the shipping labels from Springfield MO. And there's some discussion between he & I about its origin.
You see the new replacement GM L31 NOW has forged crank, 4 bolt mains, completed fuel pump mount .... and it's even less $$ that that BP piece. Another major consideration is Warranty ... I'm no attorney (so you ask yours) but BP's warranty states any lawsuit MUST be filed in their state Nebraska ... that's a Huge hurdle to manage if something goes sideways. BP has NO physical footprint outside of Nebraska. Any squabble and you'll almost certainly be expected to ship motor back to BP in Nebraska. With GM, it won't need to go any farther than your local GM dealer. You can download the BP warranty.
OTOH, GM has a physical presence everywhere; you can file suit anywhere (e.g. any county there's a GM dealership). And the GM Warranty (also downloadable) is hands-down the best in the industry ... period!. And if you haven't caught it ... the GM replacement has Not one single used part in it.

Yup, I know BP has produced what does seem (to the uninformed) a really slick video showing off their manufacturing capabilities. I've worked in auto parts manufacturing as Tier I & Tier II supplier Including both Tier I to GM and Tier II to other GM suppliers) and I've been in GM plants. BP can only dream of achieving a taste of GM's capabilities. I'll bet dollars to donuts the roller cam in the BP piece is cast iron; I KNOW the GM cam is billet 5150 steel. Bet BP's pistons & rings are cheapest thing that'll fill the hole; GM's are nice, hi-quality modern design w/ metric ringpak ... i can go on and on ... spend your money on the GM piece. Heck, perhaps ask YOUR local GM dealership if they'll price match/beat Gandrud's price?

BTW, if ya choose the GM L31, I suggest the one that's about Fifty bucks higher ... the Heavy Duty version ... it has more robust valves & seats.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FWIW: As "performance" pieces, pretty sure the GM 383 pieces have a lesser warranty than do the "replacement" motors such as L31. ... just sayin'

DU-ROC

Reaction score
Choice? No doubt about it ... get the GM replacement L31.
Yes they are assembled in Springfield MO USA by long-time GM partner SRC.
There's a fellow on here (Laredo) who has a very nice current thread where he meticulously restores a pickup and replaces the OE L31 with the above L31. In his lengthy thread there are good photos showing the shipping labels from Springfield MO. And there's some discussion between he & I about its origin.
You see the new replacement GM L31 NOW has forged crank, 4 bolt mains, completed fuel pump mount .... and it's even less $$ that that BP piece. Another major consideration is Warranty ... I'm no attorney (so you ask yours) but BP's warranty states any lawsuit MUST be filed in their state Nebraska ... that's a Huge hurdle to manage if something goes sideways. BP has NO physical footprint outside of Nebraska. Any squabble and you'll almost certainly be expected to ship motor back to BP in Nebraska. With GM, it won't need to go any farther than your local GM dealer. You can download the BP warranty.
OTOH, GM has a physical presence everywhere; you can file suit anywhere (e.g. any county there's a GM dealership). And the GM Warranty (also downloadable) is hands-down the best in the industry ... period!. And if you haven't caught it ... the GM replacement has Not one single used part in it.

Yup, I know BP has produced what does seem (to the uninformed) a really slick video showing off their manufacturing capabilities. I've worked in auto parts manufacturing as Tier I & Tier II supplier Including both Tier I to GM and Tier II to other GM suppliers) and I've been in GM plants. BP can only dream of achieving a taste of GM's capabilities. I'll bet dollars to donuts the roller cam in the BP piece is cast iron; I KNOW the GM cam is billet 5150 steel. Bet BP's pistons & rings are cheapest thing that'll fill the hole; GM's are nice, hi-quality modern design w/ metric ringpak ... i can go on and on ... spend your money on the GM piece. Heck, perhaps ask YOUR local GM dealership if they'll price match/beat Gandrud's price?

BTW, if ya choose the GM L31, I suggest the one that's about Fifty bucks higher ... the Heavy Duty version ... it has more robust valves & seats.
Solid input and advice! Thank you. I was unaware the GM cam is billet 5150 - that’s a massive selling point. Agreed the HD version would be advantageous.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you running a 4L60 or 4L80 transmission?
Right now I'm running a "built" 700R4 that's supposed to withstand 600 HP. I am having issues with it shifting 2-3 at WOT but, that's a different story. If this trans goes out, I gonna look into a 4L80E and a dedicated controller since I'm running the EBL Flash-II which doesn't do electronic trans.

Zelda

Reaction score
I am planning to upgrade my 97 GMC Z71 from a 305 to a 350.

I am curious what others have experienced with the BluePrint’s part number G3509602 L31 350 crate (https://blueprintengines.com/collec...block-for-factory-efi-iron-heads-roller-cam-2)

The other option is the GM L31 replacement part number 12691673 (https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19432780.html).

I believe the GM L31 crate is now machined and assembled in the US. However, I cannot find any solid reviews aside from the older part number 12530282, which I believe was machined/assembled in Mexico and had reports of excessive oil consumption.

Those reports have pushed me to the side of the BluePrint but would like to know what others have experienced with BluePrint’s L31 replacement before making the purchase and spending a weekend doing the swap.

Thanks to all in advance.
DU-ROC,

I bought the 19432780 from JEGS last June (2023) for $4415.07 with FREE SHIPPING and the GM warranty. I just checked their website and they STILL have it listed for that price. https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/sto...32780&storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1
I had my local garage do the R&R for the project.
Here is the warranty page for the GM L31 https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/Powertrain-Warranty-Card-2022.pdf
For warranty coverage I believe GM wants the engine to match the original equipment the truck was sold with, in other words an L31. I cannot say whether or not getting the HD version of the L31 or the 383 for that matter qualifies. You'll want to double check that.
Overall, I'm happy I did it for my '97 Z71 as I had over 298,000 miles on the original engine and, from what I understand, it is USA manufactured w/ some improvements over the original engine.
Long live the OBS! Long live the short block 350!

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DU-ROC,

I bought the 19432780 from JEGS last June (2023) for $4415.07 with FREE SHIPPING and the GM warranty. I just checked their website and they STILL have it listed for that price. https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/sto...32780&storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1
Here is the warranty page for the GM L31 https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/Powertrain-Warranty-Card-2022.pdf
For warranty coverage I believe GM wants the engine to match the original equipment the truck was sold with, in other words an L31. I cannot say whether or not getting the HD version of the L31 or the 383 for that matter qualifies. You'll want to double check that.
Overall, I'm happy I did it for my '97 Z71 as I had over 298,000 miles on the original engine and, from what I understand, it is USA manufactured w/ some improvements over the original engine.
seems jegs price disparity is HUGE between the Light Duty 19432780 ($4415.07) and Heavy Duty 19432779 ($6713.99) ... some $2300 more for HD! Maybe a typo? But if so, get the Light Duty piece as that crazy HD price ain't worth it. Gandrud's difference only $50; but their base price is about $200 more than jegs.

Also, Zelda makes a good point about LD vs HD ... suggest verify that before you leap ... if GM won't honor 36mo/100K because ya put a HD motor in a LD truck ... get the LD version; there's not THAT much difference between em.

DU-ROC

Reaction score
DU-ROC,

Thanks so much for your response. I had not looked at Jegs. Seems like a great deal especially with free shipping.

Zelda

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your response. I had not looked at Jegs. Seems like a great deal especially with free shipping.
You're quite welcome. Glade to see that I got my reply in on time to possibly make a difference for someone! IIRC, I got the warranty info about the LD vs HD from a feller named Andy (1-800-345-4545 ext. 2306) who works (worked?) for JEGS and was a good source of information and spent what time was needed to answer my many questions. I believe he also told me that an ASC certified shop would suffice as an "independent service provider" to qualify for GM warranty. Do double check my info. Whatever route you decide to go, best of luck!