Transmission Rebuild Problem 97 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Transmission fixed! 3 rebuilds latter, it finally runs smooth. Pressure in lines was not quite right until they finally hooked it up to a Heated transmission flushing machine (not official name lol) that sends the fluids in a pulse throughout the entire system. [Think I'm quoting it correctly from how it was explained to me.] Guess his original machine wasn't heated and it just didn't get all the junk out of the system? Have nothing bad to say about the shop, they didn't overcharge me and kept me informed on its progress.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Transmission fixed! 3 rebuilds latter, it finally runs smooth. Pressure in lines was not quite right until they finally hooked it up to a Heated transmission flushing machine (not official name lol) that sends the fluids in a pulse throughout the entire system. [Think I'm quoting it correctly from how it was explained to me.] Guess his original machine wasn't heated and it just didn't get all the junk out of the system? Have nothing bad to say about the shop, they didn't overcharge me and kept me informed on its progress.
Thanks for the update and I'm glad it's fixed!

phecnar

Reaction score
1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 - 5.7 with 4L60e 133000 miles.
Trans started slipping, no Reverse and 3rd and 4th gears went out. Would not drive past 25-30 miles per hour. Sent to reputable trans shop with 30years experience. They rebuilt the trans with Corvett 2-4 servo, high energy 2-4 bands, pump bushings, etc..... I got the truck back and within one hour the trans started shipping and would not drive past 25-30 miles per hour. They took the truck back, rebuilt it again and guess what. Same thing. I'm now on my 3rd rebuild and its still breaks down (wont go over 25-30 mph) within a few miles on the highway. [trans always works like it should when it comes back from the shop, but doesn't last very long] Even the owner is baffled. Yes first reaction is go somewhere else, but not an option at this point. Rebuilds are covered under the warranty. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be that causes the transmission to fail so fast?? Is there an upgrade transmisison? No off roading or hauling heavy loads. Old man street driving only.
My transmission started slipping 6 months ago. Low on fluid. Lost D and OD.
Had a friend rebuild for $2200. What he found was someone unbeknownst to me had installed wrong filter and siliconed the gasket. Caused fluid blow-by.
Funny thing is I've owned since new and never had transmission serviced before. 190K
How does that happen?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My transmission started slipping 6 months ago. Low on fluid. Lost D and OD.
Had a friend rebuild for $2200. What he found was someone unbeknownst to me had installed wrong filter and siliconed the gasket. Caused fluid blow-by.
Funny thing is I've owned since new and never had transmission serviced before. 190K
How does that happen?
It sometimes "just" happens. My buddy has a RCSB 01 Silverado with the 4.3. He bought it new out of highschool. He's close to 400k on original engine and transmission!

Mine made it to 260k in a RCSB 99 NBS.

The shallow vs deep pan is a real bugger...:rolleyes:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
someone unbeknownst to me had installed wrong filter and siliconed the gasket. Caused fluid blow-by.
How does that happen?
Several possibilities.

1. New vehicle gets dropped off the transporter, damaged the pan. Dealership monkey swaps pan and filter, gets the wrong filter, uses RTV silicone on the gasket 'cause he's an idiot. Happens before you bought the truck. Around here, dealerships are required to report "repaired" damage to the original purchaser. But who'd know if they "forgot".

2. You take the vehicle in for warranty work of some sort. Tech gets a work-order for a fluid and filter change, doesn't verify the vehicle, does yours by mistake. Uses whatever filter the parts-department gave him, and it's wrong for your truck. Uses RTV silicone on the gasket cause he's an idiot.

3. You take the vehicle in for warranty work of some sort. The tech thinks the problem is in the transmission. Drops the pan, maybe he fixes the problem, maybe not. Installs the wrong filter and applies silicone to the gasket 'cause he's an idiot.