Transmission Rebuild Problem 97 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At that point, you gotta have a pinched coolant line or very clogged trans cooler.
When the local shop rebuilt the '700 in my '88 K1500 a couple of years ago, part of their service is to connect a solvent-filled flush machine to the trans cooler tubes. The "machine" flushes the tubes and cooler while the trans is on the work-bench. After an hour or so, the machine turns on a green light if the restriction level is OK, or turns on a red light if the cooler system has excess restriction.

I would have thought that something similar would be in every trans shop in the country. Maybe I'm wrong.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When the local shop rebuilt the '700 in my '88 K1500 a couple of years ago, part of their service is to connect a solvent-filled flush machine to the trans cooler tubes. The "machine" flushes the tubes and cooler while the trans is on the work-bench. After an hour or so, the machine turns on a green light if the restriction level is OK, or turns on a red light if the cooler system has excess restriction.

I would have thought that something similar would be in every trans shop in the country. Maybe I'm wrong.
You would think so, right?

I've seen some of the even reputable trans. builders on YT using that Kooler Kleen stuff to flush out the radiator coolers.

I thought this semi-pro guy (way more pro than the typical DIY'er, LOL) had bought one of those cooler flusher machines, but it's actually a torque converter flusher machine...although he mentioned it also does cooler lines.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Torque converters are a big mystery to me. You can't inspect the internal clutch, like the clutches from a transmission. At some point the TC clutch will wear out, right? That's probably why rebuilders always recommend replace the TC when doing major trannie service. But then again, my truck got a transmission swap from backyard part-out truck special, along with the torque converter it came with... :rolleyes:

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Good question,, I will ask.

Chris1997

Reaction score
I had a 1995 impala SS burn up a Gearstar transmission in fifty miles. After checking everything, I found the computer was bad. New computer, dealership program and another transmission from Gearstar and it's been going strong for nearly 100,000 miles. Pulling fault codes should be easier with your '97. Also, I'm sure they are checking the line pressure when they test drive? Good luck.

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM had a bulletin on faulty computer grounds that caused trans problems. Add a wire, move a couple of other wires to different points in the plastic connector...

...but I thought that was '96 only.
Trans lines are checking out okay, I'll ask them to check out the ground wires...

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM had a bulletin on faulty computer grounds that caused trans problems. Add a wire, move a couple of other wires to different points in the plastic connector...

Yes, but only for a 1996 built before March of 96.

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Yes there is a GM Service Bulletin 00-07-30-026 that addresses the faulty ground issue for 1996 C/K models. Transmission failure... (4L60E/4L80E Repeat Clutch and/or Babd Burn Up 1996 models with VCM only) https://www.transgo.org/demo/06-04-4l60E-VCM-rewire.pdf

Russ k1500

Reaction score
I'm going through a similar situation now. My truck is a 96 model K1500 with a 4L60E. It had been fine until one day it had no 3rd gear or OD. I took it to a local independent shop that has a good reputation and the owner said he didn't rebuild trans but he would install a GM rebuilt one that has all new parts inside, and it will have a three year warranty. He said they reference it to my truck vin and I could take it to any Chevrolet dealer and they would honor the warranty. I was doubtful about that but hoped I wouldn't need to find out. I drove it around slowly for a while and it felt fine. Then got on the expressway and accelerated fairly rapidly up to about seventy MPH to merge in. When it should have shifted to third gear the engine raced up and then went into 3rd with a jerk. It would do this every time. He said to take it to a Chevy dealer to get it fixed. I took all of my paperwork and went to a local dealership and they said yes, the warranty was good and they would fix it. That was one week ago and my truck is still there. I don't know if they will repair it or just swap it out with another one. There is a GM service bulletin that applies to some early 1996 models that says to change a wire on the VCM but my truck didn't need it. So now I'm just waiting.