Talk some sense into me please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove a big-box U-Haul truck from the West Coast to the Midwest. Had the "V-8" according to U-Haul's description.

Of course it was the Ford V-10.

Would run 80+ mph on the flats. Could pass anything except a gas station. Foot-to-the-floor, 55 mph or less on the uphill sections, with the trans downshifted for added torque.

I was really glad that Brother In Law was paying the fuel bills.

The Ford V-10 is TOTALLY out-classed by the ol' 460. What the hell was Ford thinking?

Last edited:

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I drove a big-box U-Haul truck from the West Coast to the Midwest. Had the "V-8" according to U-Haul's description.

Would run 80+ mph on the flats. Could pass anything except a gas station. Foot-to-the-floor, 55 mph or less on the uphill sections, with the trans downshifted for added torque.

Yeah. My mileage dropped to 8 coming over the great divide on my way out of California but I had the petal to the floor and I was passing everything in sight singing east bound and down at the top of my lungs. [emoji16]

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I was at the Sebring race track many years ago and there was a huge cluster around a 53 ford truck with the hood up. When I finally got a look I found a really unusual sight. It was a Jaguar DOHC six mounted in the pickup. The owner said he had the truck body and someone gave him the wrecked Jag. The setup fit like a glove and he said it was one surprising 53 ford truck. I love the idea of insulting ford by dropping in something reliable but I'm not sure that Jag engine fit the bill. He sure had lot of fun with it though.

I don't think I've ever seen a Jag engine swapped into a truck, but the IRS gets swapped into hot rods. I did see an Olds diesel swapped into a Ford truck at an auction once.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a Jag engine swapped into a truck, but the IRS gets swapped into hot rods. I did see an Olds diesel swapped into a Ford truck at an auction once.
Oh that's good. The desiel that ford guys love to hate.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The absolute weirdest swap I ever saw was a Buick 401 in a 53 ford convertible. It was a little front end heavy and it would not corner worth a damn. My friend the owner said it was all worth it when (this was in the old days) he drove into a service station and asked them to check the oil. A few of course didn't know the difference but the ones who were expecting a flathead were really surprised.

I asked him how he did it and he said "first I bought a GIANT shoehorn" !

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The absolute weirdest swap I ever saw was a Buick 401 in a 53 ford convertible. It was a little front end heavy and it would not corner worth a damn. My friend the owner said it was all worth it when (this was in the old days) he drove into a service station and asked them to check the oil. A few of course didn't know the difference but the ones who were expecting a flathead were really surprised.

I saw a ford 5.0 tricycle.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I saw a ford 5.0 tricycle.

One of the weirdest engine swaps I ever saw was in 2009, at the Lone Star Roundup traditional hot rod and custom show in Austin. It was a 48--53 GMC pickup with a 225 slant six in it. No hood, so you could check out how it looked. Fit well and looked like it was supposed to be there! Definitely "dare to be different " as Hot Rod magazine had as a theme for a few years.
One of my mechanic friends also built a 38 Packard business coupe in a retro rod style, with a 350 in it. He put Packard scripts on the valve covers, and it was a good running, fun car.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Nailheads have a following. I believe they were popular swaps with the Pre-48 crowd.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
One of the weirdest engine swaps I ever saw was in 2009, at the Lone Star Roundup traditional hot rod and custom show in Austin. It was a 48--53 GMC pickup with a 225 slant six in it. No hood, so you could check out how it looked. Fit well and looked like it was supposed to be there! Definitely "dare to be different " as Hot Rod magazine had as a theme for a few years.
One of my mechanic friends also built a 38 Packard business coupe in a retro rod style, with a 350 in it. He put Packard scripts on the valve covers, and it was a good running, fun car.

I remember Dare to be Different...... think that was first put forth in 1989, as I bought this magazine on the news stand: https://www.ebay.com/itm/JULY-1989-HOT-ROD-MAGAZINE-Dare-to-be-different-M350-/254829316019

Unfortunately, I think I got rid of my copy. Over the years I thinned my magazine collection down to a very small stack.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The Ford V-10 is TOTALLY out-classed by the ol' 460. What the hell was Ford thinking?

Only decent truck V10 was the Dodge Magnum based 8.0L. Had one in a 94 long bed single cab 2wd 2500 and it had a massive amount of torque. Had a Mopar Performance ECM on it, Mopar claimed it added 50 ft/lbs of torque to the stock 450 ft/lbs and I absolutely believe it. 12-14 mpg regardless of how you drove it. Idling along, WOT burning the tires out of every stop or pulling a 10,000 lbs trailer, 12-14mpg. It was ammusing because in normal driving it would shift into the next gear at less than 2,000 rpm and the torque spike would cause the truck to jump 5-10 mph in speed during the shifts. Watch when Bill Paxton gets on the V10 in Twister and it rockets from 50-70 almost instantly without downshifting. How that 94 truck really ran. 1:10 seconds in, that was a 4x4 extended cab too. Truck had an ECM that failed (hence the cheaper mopar performance ECM), a dash that cracked and had to have the front end rebuilt at 100K, but other than that, a cracked radiator and a water pump that failed never gave any other major problems in 250K. The a/c would still freeze you out of the truck at 250K.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited: