Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HUGE UPDATE...

OK, maybe not so huge

Mudflaps installed! Was a bit of a PITA (like everything I touch on this heap) because the brackets were installed with a bunch of mix-and-match hardware, some of it very low grade and rusted. Several bolts broke, including one in a bed support rod. Not cool. I wheeled the end of it off then drilled and tapped, which meant digging through a ceiling-high stack of heavily loaded milk crates to get a vise to clamp to my work table.. yeah.
You must be registered for see images attach

Got the two brackets out and hammered them flat again; one was really bent up due to them snatching the mudflap off. Some creative bending of one of the braces so I could get the bracket to sit level instead of crooked, and I had to give up for the night because we had a literal junebug invasion.

Back to it the next day, determined the hardware I'd need and hit the Ace for some stainless bolts, washers, fender washers, and nyloc nuts. Got the flaps centered perfectly over the tire treads, had to mark and drill a couple new holes, no biggie. Even broke out the level on the brackets and flaps to be sure they weren't wonky.

On the ground and just enough clearance to hopefully prevent any issues in the future. Dragging the flaps on the ground was a chuckle when they were just that old beat-up mess hanging sideways, but I dig these, would like to keep 'em in good shape.

Richard

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those are about the size of the crew cab rear floor mats… hey that gives me an idea.
Cost about the same as new floor mats, too :oops: .. but they're "real" Paccar big truck mudflaps, not sure what particular application uses those smaller ones. Maybe forward flaps on heavy duty's, dunno. They're definitely smaller than a regular 18 wheeler mudflap, and are smaller than the crusty old flaps I took off this truck. The Petes are 16"-18" wide, 17" long. Plenty more with the logo available in other sizes (and brands) if you just look 'em up.

Richard

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drove it to work last night.. 40 minutes or so at highway speeds. Made it without any weird hiccups running, though it does smell worryingly rich, which is weird. It was running very rich when I bought it because the CTS was verifiably bad, and I replaced it, as well as cleaned the grounds. No cat so I expect the normal exhaust smell, but it seems to be running rich again. O2 probably could stand to be replaced as it's old, and the connector is broken. Might need the harness pigtail, too.

Transmission isn't right. It's gonna have to go back to the damn shop. :mad:

No apparent spewing at all from the rear axle since I relocated the vent hose sky-high behind the taillight, so that's a plus.

Warming up for the trip home this morning.. the truck it's next to is our brand new 2023 F550 that will be the subject of my (slight) lowering project soon, hopefully.

Blower motor was previously working OK but this morning decided to be squeal-y.

Also, I think I need 3.73's. 75mph @ 2500rpm with the 4.10's and 225/75/16's.

Richard

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HUGE UPDATE...

OK, maybe not so huge

Mudflaps installed! Was a bit of a PITA (like everything I touch on this heap) because the brackets were installed with a bunch of mix-and-match hardware, some of it very low grade and rusted. Several bolts broke, including one in a bed support rod. Not cool. I wheeled the end of it off then drilled and tapped, which meant digging through a ceiling-high stack of heavily loaded milk crates to get a vise to clamp to my work table.. yeah.

Got the two brackets out and hammered them flat again; one was really bent up due to them snatching the mudflap off. Some creative bending of one of the braces so I could get the bracket to sit level instead of crooked, and I had to give up for the night because we had a literal junebug invasion.

Back to it the next day, determined the hardware I'd need and hit the Ace for some stainless bolts, washers, fender washers, and nyloc nuts. Got the flaps centered perfectly over the tire treads, had to mark and drill a couple new holes, no biggie. Even broke out the level on the brackets and flaps to be sure they weren't wonky.

On the ground and just enough clearance to hopefully prevent any issues in the future. Dragging the flaps on the ground was a chuckle when they were just that old beat-up mess hanging sideways, but I dig these, would like to keep 'em in good shape.

Richard
You didn't drive it long enough to scrub the old ones straight again did ya? ;)

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's it doing or not doing?
Won't go into low gear - goes about halfway and the shifter just stops. I figured it out pretty quick because I usually use low to creep up the driveway and stop just short of the garage door so there's room to park another vehicle behind it.

When decelerating at highway speed, 5th, gear, at the point where you just barely lift off the pedal, the transmission makes a horrendous noise. Kinda sounds like metallic clangy/grinding, but it's a dry grinding noise, sounds external from the transmission case itself. I have no idea what it is.

They say they fully rebuilt the transmission, and did a new clutch, pressure plate, resurfaced the flywheel, replaced the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and fork.

Richard