Let’s talk media blasting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
We had a guy come out to the shop to blast the Scout project for us. Brought everything on a trailer. He used play sand but wore one of those waistband face mask filter apparatus. Everything turned out nice.

Play sand is rounded, so it doesn't cut well. It's also still sand, so it's just as bad to breathe as "silica sand" that's sold for construction. Years and years ago, when I tried using it, it was like sanding with used sandpaper.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
For a large outdoor job you'll want a full face respirator or PAPR. Aerolized Silica isnt good to breath or get in your eyes.

Unless you use the water based pressure washer / blaster, just use good sealed safety glasses. Think getting sprayed in the face with soapy water washing your car but with abrasive instead of soap.

Sand blast silica is great for frames but not good for brake lines and wiring. Corn cob would take forever for the frame but wouldnt be as aggressive on the smaller stuff. Either way you'll go through at least 10 bags of abrasive, it gets everywhere.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A few bolts and the cab is off, A few extra bolts after that and the drive train is out. Short of doing that it's only getting half done.. It takes serious air to run a tank blaster etc. Being equipped is another thing. I see a 4 post lift, a 2 post makes it a cake walk.

Last edited:

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I bought a blasting setup i would mount it on a trailer and use it at my acreage. I won’t blast in my garage… I have no interest in a frame off resto at this time.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I bought a blasting setup i would mount it on a trailer and use it at my acreage. I won’t blast in my garage… I have no interest in a frame off resto at this time.
I hear ya.
I’m all for blasting the media. :fca5278d:
Sure you don't mean bashing? You know a proper thumping? lol

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have an industrial pressure washer
My YouTube feed has been full of “diy dustless blasting” videos lately. Some shop made siphon setup for a pressure washer. I haven’t watched any but having made some improvised siphon gadgets I bet it would be pretty straightforward to rig something up.