Fuel additive for long term Gasoline storage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
another possible solution to help with longevity might be backfilling the tank with nitrogen. It would help reduce vaporization and would also reduce condensation and water contamination.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I get tax-free exemption for property maintenance equipment. Thats like 30-35c/gal off. Then its 87 octane NON-Ethanol with the added stabilizers that I didnt know about until yesterday. Which is more expensive and better gas. After all said and done its about 5c-10c/gal cheaper than 87 octane 10% ethanol pump gas.

I could get pump gas quality delivered for that tax-free discount but I want non-ethanol.

Plus I like having bulk gas and propane on my property for emergencies. I like knowing that if needed I can run my generator for any reasonable amount of time to keep my house warm and fridge/freezer cold.

I also have two large propane tanks for home heat that I fill once a year in the summer when its cheapest. I save money and know that I wont run out if there's another propane shortage like 2012... I was paying upwards of $5/gal for propane that winter which the summer before was selling for $0.69/gal. That winter made me buy the large tanks.

I've considered the same thing, storing large quantities of gas in site in case the **** hits the fan. Plow trucks, generators, and chainsaws all need gasoline to be useful. Plus whatever truck you're driving into the woods to shoot food if the pumps stop. I wonder if that sort of service is available near my property. 300 gallons is a lot to have to transport at any one time, plus the supplier knowing a thing or 2 about their product is pretty awesome.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
After all said and done its about 5c-10c/gal cheaper than 87 octane 10% ethanol pump gas.

So $16.25-32.50 worth of savings on 325gal, according to my math.

I'm all for non-ethanol in my tanks...just be careful with that tax exemption and where you run it!

When I had my custom cutting hay business, my Hesston 6400 swather ran on gasoline (265 slant 6 powered). I carried two plastic 55gal drums with hand pumps on them in the back of my pickup. 25gal of gas was good for 20-30acres of thick alfalfa if I remember correctly. The drums were marked (off highway non-taxable).

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

I'm all for non-ethanol in my tanks...just be careful with that tax exemption and where you run it!

When I had my custom cutting hay business, my Hesston 6400 swather ran on gasoline (265 slant 6 powered). I carried two plastic 55gal drums with hand pumps on them in the back of my pickup. 25gal of gas was good for 20-30acres of thick alfalfa if I remember correctly. The drums were marked (off highway non-taxable).

Is that stuff dyed like diesel?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score

Yea for sure. The tax exemption form need you to list the equipment that you will be using it in. As long as its enough big equipment or you can justify the volume used elsewhere (tree cutting business for example) they will approve it pretty quickly. If you live in the suburbs and need 300 gallons for a push mower and weed whacker, you might get a phone call or knock on the door.

I am careful to not park cars/trucks too close to the tank also just in case some pilot thinks I'm filling them up or something. I only use it for the intended purposes. Like I said its really not any significant cost savings. And my daily driver can get fuel cheaper yet if I fill up with 88 octane 15% ethanol. I just like it for emergencies and not carrying gas jugs around everywhere waiting for a good deal on gas.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I've considered the same thing, storing large quantities of gas in site in case the **** hits the fan. Plow trucks, generators, and chainsaws all need gasoline to be useful. Plus whatever truck you're driving into the woods to shoot food if the pumps stop. I wonder if that sort of service is available near my property. 300 gallons is a lot to have to transport at any one time, plus the supplier knowing a thing or 2 about their product is pretty awesome.

I'm sure you can get it exempt, just see my last post. Most if not all state should have some tax exemption form for farmers, businesses and large property owners for off-highway use fuels. Essentially you shouldn't have to pay for road maintenance if you don't use them with that fuel.

And the gasoline that I get is not dyed like diesel.

if you use propane for your property ask your supplier if they also do gas/diesel deliveries. If they do they can email you the exemption form.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd recommend this product as your secondary additive. I've used it for a number of years now in my small motor fuel. Its nice to pick up a chainsaw that's sat through spring and summer and have it fire right up. A conversation with them might be fruitful.