Extreme Grind Upon Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you got a fluid transfer problem, from the transmission to the t-case, when you remove that fill plug on the t-case, fluid will come pouring out of there. Like @NickTransmissions was eluding to, metal in pan and the transmission fluid check would show some scary stuff too.
What would cause a fluid transfer problem between the transmission to the tcase? So you mean fluid from trans getting in tcase?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would cause a fluid transfer problem between the transmission to the tcase? So you mean fluid from trans getting in tcase?
They dont, not by design anyway...There should be no fluid transfer between them (a very minor amount of trans fluid in the ext housing is normal) but worn t-case input shaft/coupler seal and excessively worn rear case bushing in the transmisssion can result in fluid transfer.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They dont, not by design anyway...There should be no fluid transfer between them (a very minor amount of trans fluid in the ext housing is normal) but worn t-case input shaft/coupler seal and excessively worn rear case bushing in the transmisssion can result in fluid transfer.
Gotcha. So I’m sure if the tcase gets flooded with fluid that can cause a lot of problems with it, even detrimental, and depending on how much lost in the transmission could be detrimental for that aswell.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotcha. So I’m sure if the tcase gets flooded with fluid that can cause a lot of problems with it, even detrimental, and depending on how much lost in the transmission could be detrimental for that aswell.
Something I will definitely look at in the morning aswell.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes but its not as likely plus your noise sounds like its being made by something exposed to the open air (ie starter gear on flexplate) versus something occuring encased inside of a larger assembly, like a trans or tcase but i could be wrong, as it's really hard to tell in the video.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes but its not as likely plus your noise sounds like its being made by something exposed to the open air (ie starter gear on flexplate) versus something occuring encased inside of a larger assembly, like a trans or tcase but i could be wrong, as it's really hard to tell in the video.
Yeah that’s kind of what I’m thinking aswell. Is there a chance the bendix on the starter could be getting just stuck out enough so when the engine is under load and slightly moving that it’s hitting the flex plate?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s kind of what I’m thinking aswell. Is there a chance the bendix on the starter could be getting just stuck out enough so when the engine is under load and slightly moving that it’s hitting the flex plate?
Anything's possible...There's only one way to find out...

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anything's possible...There's only one way to find out...
That’ll be one of the easier things to rule out I’ll take the starter bolts out while keeping it connected, and have my brother twist the key to make sure the bendix engages and disengages the way it should, will do that while checking torque on the flex plate bolts

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’ll be one of the easier things to rule out I’ll take the starter bolts out while keeping it connected, and have my brother twist the key to make sure the bendix engages and disengages the way it should, will do that while checking torque on the flex plate bolts
Probably better to take it completely out and try on the bench. With it being in a tight space you are likely to short out your battery cable if you try to unbolt it while it's still connected.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably better to take it completely out and try on the bench. With it being in a tight space you are likely to short out your battery cable if you try to unbolt it while it's still connected.
ive had to do it before without problems, i just keep the positive and negative ring terminals away from each other.