Extreme Grind Upon Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Take pics YES !!!! In my late teens or about 20's I rebuilt a 400 Tranny NOT knowing what I was doing with all new B&M clutch packs etc... LOL... I had to get different snap ring tools etc... I took it all apart in a LOOOOOOG line across my older brothers 3 car garage floor, Had it ALL inline as it came apart, set all my new parts etc next to the old parts, then went in reverse putting it all back LOL, did lots of pics with old camera LOL....
Did the same thing on a Turbo 350. Long work bench and had two rows.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Love it !!! Very Scary to put it back in, LOL... Lot of work and $$$ to see if it worked... I was lucky !!!
So was I. It worked. Was surprised since I did it before any internet help was available. I did it looking at manuals. I also called a friend a couple times. Went back in to a beat up rusted old Chevy 2wd pickup.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There wasnt much to take pics of lol. Put the lockring from the other tcase into mine(it was a pia) It fits a little loose on there but is locked in none-the-less. Reassembled everything, put some new fluid in the tcase and she seems to be working fine! Noise in 2hi is gone, 4hi works as it should, and 4lo is back.

Now looking at my spare tcase, it seems like water got into it because the barn its in leaks, so that's junk.

I may pick up a cheap used tcase off marketplace to rebuild, and if this one ever blows then I can throw a rebuilt one in. I am a bit worried with how much slack is in that chain on my current one. I'm willing to bet it's the original tcase at 232,000 miles.

Thank you to everyone who helped me diagnose this problem and supported me!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Why not rebuild the one you have on the bench? Or at least split it apart to see how bad the water damage is. I'd be willing to bet that its salvageable with a complete rebuild kit that includes a new chain and sprockets.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Why not rebuild the one you have on the bench? Or at least split it apart to see how bad the water damage is. I'd be willing to bet that its salvageable with a complete rebuild kit that includes a new chain and sprockets.
Yes, you can keep as a spare or sell it.