Let’s talk media blasting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am considering trying to buy a media blaster of some sort. I’m also considering renting one. Or lastly paying a shop to blast my 92. I wouldn’t be building a show truck but it would be nice to start with a fresh chassis. My plan would be to remove the box completely for the job but leave the drivetrain and cab on. I want to avoid a 1 year frame off project.

I Know there are a million types of media these days to blast. I’m thinking something like alum oxide or something might be able to remove the rust but not eat up all the soft parts?

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Coal slag is popular. It's sold at home improvement stores. One of the names is "black beauty". You don't want real sand, as the silica is dangerous and can't effectively be filtered. Usually the sand bag will actually say specifically not use it for blasting.

Personally, I'd probably leave the big stuff to the pros, and just blast the smaller stuff myself. It makes a mess.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a guy come out to the shop to blast the Scout project for us. Brought everything on a trailer. He used play sand but wore one of those waistband face mask filter apparatus. Everything turned out nice.

I’ve used coal slag in our blast cabinet and am currently using a soda or glass based product from harbor freight. Both work well for everything I’ve put it against.

You must be registered for see images attach

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I you are going to do a partial frame with the cab on look into dustless media blasting. It is a combination of water and very fine silica basting media.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate being "that guy"....but if you tried blasting in your driveway, you are going to get a visit from a very upset person with lights on their vehicle!!!! Not sure how your relationship is with your neighbors, but it probably would help it get better that's for sure.
If you do it in the garage, not sure how your woman would feel about that, I know mine would string me up by my.....toes! Lol

There are a few blasters in your area, look them up and see what they charge. Probably less than the fines you would receive from bylaw.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate being "that guy"....but if you tried blasting in your driveway, you are going to get a visit from a very upset person with lights on their vehicle!!!! Not sure how your relationship is with your neighbors, but it probably would help it get better that's for sure.
If you do it in the garage, not sure how your woman would feel about that, I know mine would string me up by my.....toes! Lol

There are a few blasters in your area, look them up and see what they charge. Probably less than the fines you would receive from bylaw.

I would do it at my acreage no issue there. I’ve got 4 acres at Smoky lake area.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would do it at my acreage no issue there. I’ve got 4 acres at Smoky lake area.
Well that makes a whole lot more sense!!! Lol
But I could envision someone blasting in their driveway in the middle of town would cause some excitement!!! Lol
There are mobile blasters as well. ROCHE is out of the westlock area, they are mobile.
Definitely some are around your area are mobile as well.
Or are you looking to buy a unit?

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that makes a whole lot more sense!!! Lol
But I could envision someone blasting in their driveway in the middle of town would cause some excitement!!! Lol
There are mobile blasters as well. ROCHE is out of the westlock area, they are mobile.
Definitely some are around your area are mobile as well.
Or are you looking to buy a unit?

I’m considering buying something but not committing to that. If I could get a decent setup for under 10k I think I would do it. I’m not in a rush so I will do sone research and price out sone options. Most likely I will just pay a shop to do the work. If I removed the front clip, engine and box they could do a pretty good job on it I think.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Before all the naysayers jump in and start, I'll intervene and say this water blasting works. There's an anti-corrosion agent that is added to the water to stop flash rusting. Back in my younger days(early 2000's) I left autobody and did industrial blasting/coating for quite a few years and a company called Enviro-Blast brought out their new system that used garnet and water and it was slick. We did alot of blasting in congested areas of plants/refineries during shut downs to clean vessels and stuff for welding/inspecting and the water system allowed other work to go on around us and not have to shut the whole area down