Let’s talk media blasting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys looks like I’m best off with some good old hard work. Wire wheels and a needle skaler. I also have an industrial pressure washer to help remove the surface rust. then either POR-15 or something similar.
Noooooo not a needle scaler!! Lol. I couldn’t stand using those

Cup brushes on an angle grinder will be perfect for what you want to do. Especially if you’re not pulling the cab or drivetrain. And if you want to save some money, check out dominion sure seal “Dom16”. Pretty much the same thing as por15 for half the price, and way less steps too it.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely cup brushes, an assortment of tools… I can just feel my arms and back aching lol! I have a fit test for a medium north full face respirator with p-100 or chemical as needed. SCBA if needed, oil plant safety. Even dealing with fiberglass grafting the hood scoops on using just glass I was in Tyvek and a 1/2 mask. Keeping my lungs clean is important. However long term use of a respirator or air tanks is hard on a person Ive seen guys that screwed up thier lungs from so much restricted breathing over the years.

For a weekend of work it’s no issue to wear the PPE and a paper dust mask is rarely very effective.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys looks like I’m best off with some good old hard work. Wire wheels and a needle skaler. I also have an industrial pressure washer to help remove the surface rust. then either POR-15 or something similar.
If you're going to use POR-15 be sure to read all their information first. You don't want clean, shiny metal for POR-15, or you'll need to use their etching chemical Metal Prep first.

And if you're gonna spray POR-15, you'll need a respirator. Seriously. It's bad stuff to breathe, I'd say worse than breathing the blasting media. Lungs full of POR-15 you'll have a bad day, and it might be your last one depending on how much you get.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd suggest hitting the frame with a pressure washer as a first step. Use a narrow tip or even better a 0 degree wobble nozzle. That'll get the heaviest loose stuff off.
I just towed mine down to the car wash. ;) Didn't own a pressure washer at the time.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then got busy with the POR-15

I thought I could leave the transmission in place because I hadn't realized at that point I was going to update to the '96 style release bearing/slave cylinder so it came out later. You also may notice the rear crossmembers didn't get painted, no need, as they would be coming out soon for the wrecker unit install.

The leaf springs and a few other misc. parts got painted after this pic.. it was slightly exhausting and meticulous work trying to do this without getting it all over myself, especially "in my spare time" between helping customers and doing other shop stuff.

I wonder how dry ice blasting would do for the frame/chassis?

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have used quite a few different Dominion products over the years with acceptable results, Not a big fan of Por-15, somethings changed in it over the years and it maybe was the prep the individuals did but I've seen it let loose in sheets. Might be something in the literature about not being over cleaned metal it's been forever since I looked at it. Quite a few steps and they want you to buy into their complete system which is understandable.. Kinda go the phosphoric acid route(Ospho, Sem Rust-mort, or Kleenstrip Prep and Etch from the hardware store if cheap is in order) after mechanical cleaning and followed by epoxy primer these days. I kinda stay away from 1k non- catalyzed/activated coatings and spray can stuff until after it's sealed with the epoxy. Cup brushes, knotted wire wheels, needle scaler is good in nooks and crannies. Pear shaped carbide burr on a die grinder good in tight spots too.

Paint grade face mask and gloves when you get into the chemicals. If your not aware the skin can absorb the nasties into the bloodstream. It'll take week of scrubbing to get por-15 and the like off your hands. Recommend looking up the tech sheets and the msds sheets for whatever products you decide on. Most are online these days.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWPreston1969